• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lyn27

Lyn27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

I downloaded the RM you purchase on my Mac and registeredit and it said it was registered. The next thing that came up was a small box that says RootsMagic error and it locked up the whole computer. I can't even shut it down!!! I am not happy! I cannot finish my school assignment and lost everything I had opened on my MacBook. Why don't you have an after hours number to help with tech support?

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

I downloaded the RM you purchase on my Mac and registeredit and it said it was registered. The next thing that came up was a small box that says RootsMagic error and it locked up the whole computer. I can't even shut it down!!! I am not happy! I cannot finish my school assignment and lost everything I had opened on my MacBook. Why don't you have an after hours number to help with tech support?

You should always be able to kill an application like RootsMagic by using the Apple symbol at top left and then selecting Force Quit. If you can’t do that because of the spinning “beachball”, then try to select another app from the dock first. if that won’t work, then I find that having multiple desktops open allows one to switch to another desktop and that usually stops the spinning beachball and allows the Apple symbol to be active. You don’t have to use the second desktop, just be able to switch to it by swiping left or right.

As to your problem, what version of MacOS are you using and which version of RM for Mac are you trying to use. If we as users are to help you, then we need a little more information.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7774 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

What was the full error message you received?  Where is the database stored on the Mac. Is it inside of any folders being synced to the cloud, like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Lyn27

Lyn27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Thank you JP and Renee for responding. I did all you suggested JP and then finally just had to turn the computer off. The error message was "RootsMagic error" that is all. I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 on a MacBook Pro. It was downloaded into onto the computer not put into another folder. I hope this is what you are asking for.

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Thank you JP and Renee for responding. I did all you suggested JP and then finally just had to turn the computer off. The error message was "RootsMagic error" that is all. I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 on a MacBook Pro. It was downloaded into onto the computer not put into another folder. I hope this is what you are asking for.

OK, so that is a supported release of MacOS.

I don't quite understand where you installed RM - it needs to go in the Applications folder or a subfolder of that. I suggest you also set up an RM data, say, folder in your Documents folder to hold your RM data and then a number of subfolders within that for Data, Backups, Multimedia, GEDCOM, and Reports. Then, when you start RM, the first thing you need to do is select Tool;s/Programs Options and set the folders to point to those subfolders. As Renee says, keep those folders on your Mac and don't use Dropbox or one of the other Cloud backup/syncing services until you have got things going correctly. Also make sure that you are downloading the very latest version of RM for Mac, and if you have, maybe inadvertently, installed an old version of RM for Mac, I suggest you follow the instructions that Renee has added to a number of appends in the RM for Mac forum.

Here are the steps for the complete removal of RM and the CrossOver programming around it.

Complete uninstall of RootsMagic on the Mac
If the Crossover wrapper around the 'RootsMagic for Mac' program needs to be updated, a complete uninstall of the program is needed.

1. Make sure you have a backup of any RootsMagic data files
2. Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer
3. Drag and drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trash bin
4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
5. Type ~/Library/Application Support
6. Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trash bin
7. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file com.rootsmagic.rootsmagic.plist
8. Drag and drop the RootsMagic 7 shortcut icon on the Dock to your trash bin
9. Download and install the latest version of RootsMagic - http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-7/

This will completely uninstall RootsMagic for Mac "and" the Crossover programming as well.

Edited by J P, 18 January 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Lyn27

Lyn27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

I dragged it to the applications folder they show while installing just like the directions said. It is not in dropbox or cloud. I am thinking I just need to uninstall it and use another genealogy system that doesn't have problems. This is too overwhelming for a person who is not tech savvy! Thank you for your help JP!

#7 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

You really shouldn't give up so easily - RM doesn't "have problems". Honestly! Clearly, something went wrong with the first installation, but this is very unusual. 

If I were you, I would do a *complete* uninstall, using the instructions in the previous post, and start again from scratch.  The Installation package should put RootsMagic straight into your main Applications folder for you.