3 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

This is not a specific suggestion but rather a general observation on the flow of work in RM. I'm always printing lists of things, even if that "print" is a PDF file or is actually just thrown in the bit bucket before saving. I also understand how difficult it would be to do what I'm about to ask but why, for instance, does it lock out other functions when I open the source manager?  (I understand it has to do with giving only one function access to the database at a time.) It seems to be the major limiting factor in the work flow. Why can't I work in the Research Log and the Edit Person screens at the same time? Opening the Research Log locks the Edit Person window. This question could be repeated for a dozen combinations of other screens but that's the biggie. This is why I have to print a list to read in a separate program just to copy and paste information from one part of the program to another. 

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Yes please.  I'm always printing lists to rtf and working back and forth with RM.  Should be able to have it open at the same time and click to edit person/source/place etc.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7994 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

We users obviously don't know when or if this wish will be addressed. It has been discussed many times before, usually in the context of non-modal windows. Just as one of many possible examples, non-modal windows might permit the edit person screen to be open and available for doing work at the same time that the edit source window is available for doing work. But you really need more than just that, so that non-modal windows would be a part of the solution but would not be the whole solution. What I mean by that is that, for example, you need to be in the edit sources screen and click a citation to navigate to the edit person screen of the person or fact for to whom the citation refers, and etc. etc. etc. for all the various pieces of data in RM that are linked together. As much as this kind of capability is badly needed, I do think it would have to be implemented very carefully and thoughtfully to avoid making the user interface so confusing that it became unusable.

Jerry