#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Source Details (or Abstract) Not Downloading to RM

I've raised this issue previously, but I would like to revisit it because it has become a significant problem for me.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions as to the best way to handle this problem.

I'd also like to know if anything has been (or will be done) about this. 

Problem:
When using RM Web Hints for Ancestry, I have found that when I accept a hint, the basic citation for the source transfers to RM, and if any media is attached it will also download to RM. Sometimes, some source details for the fact/event will be posted in the fact/event description field in RM. These are usually very cryptic and incomplete. However, if you view the hint on line (in Ancestry) you see a webpage listing the source citation, a link to any media available, and an "abstract" or summary of the available data about the fact/event. This abstract does not download to RM. Therefore, I am left with a citation which has little or no information about the fact/event. Many times, there is much valuable info in this abstract which is missed, unless I manually extract it. 

(I recognize that the Ancestry source "Abstract" may not have all the information that may be available about the fact/event, and that additional manual data reviews may, and probably should also be done, but it usually has way more than I would have otherwise).

My  Current Solution:
If I accept the hint, I will view it on line in Ancestry, and copy to my  clipboard the source fact/events listed in the "abstract", and then paste that information into the RM fact/event source citation details tab, for this particular fact/event. I can then use these facts to develop notes for the fact/event, etc. While this does work, it adds mutiple required steps to the web hints sharing process, and adds significant time to my research effort. 

Does anyone have a better way to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:20 PM

The Ancestry API isn't transferring the abstract attached to the source. Manual copy & paste is the only way to get it.

Renee
RootsMagic