#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Source Details (or Abstract) Not Downloading to RM

I've raised this issue previously, but I would like to revisit it because it has become a significant problem for me.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions as to the best way to handle this problem.

I'd also like to know if anything has been (or will be done) about this. 

Problem:
When using RM Web Hints for Ancestry, I have found that when I accept a hint, the basic citation for the source transfers to RM, and if any media is attached it will also download to RM. Sometimes, some source details for the fact/event will be posted in the fact/event description field in RM. These are usually very cryptic and incomplete. However, if you view the hint on line (in Ancestry) you see a webpage listing the source citation, a link to any media available, and an "abstract" or summary of the available data about the fact/event. This abstract does not download to RM. Therefore, I am left with a citation which has little or no information about the fact/event. Many times, there is much valuable info in this abstract which is missed, unless I manually extract it. 

(I recognize that the Ancestry source "Abstract" may not have all the information that may be available about the fact/event, and that additional manual data reviews may, and probably should also be done, but it usually has way more than I would have otherwise).

My  Current Solution:
If I accept the hint, I will view it on line in Ancestry, and copy to my  clipboard the source fact/events listed in the "abstract", and then paste that information into the RM fact/event source citation details tab, for this particular fact/event. I can then use these facts to develop notes for the fact/event, etc. While this does work, it adds mutiple required steps to the web hints sharing process, and adds significant time to my research effort. 

Does anyone have a better way to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

The Ancestry API isn't transferring the abstract attached to the source. Manual copy & paste is the only way to get it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Renee -

So, still the same. This would be a nice feature. Maybe it should be added to the wish list.

I have had one hint that helps some. When viewing the "abstract" on line in Ancestry, first click on the "print" button, and then capture the desired text of the abstract from the html screen that appears. Now paste into the details/research notes tab in the RM source record. The result is a much cleaner, better organized, and seems to require little or no editing/formatting.

Thanks for the info

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

We'll support it if Ancestry adds it to their API. So its their wish list it needs to be on.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

OK, so who do I ask? Have a contact?

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Contact Ancestry's support and they will get it to the developers.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Thanks

RickL