4 replies to this topic

#1 Savage702

Savage702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

All,

Brand new user, have been using Ancestry for a few weeks bringing in old records/data from other family historians that have passed it on to me.

My question is regarding the Treeshare feature/function. 
When I setup, it brings down all the records from Ancestry.

But when I find more items on Ancestry, or make changes, they are not pulling back down to RootsMagic.
I created a new tree in RootsMagic after a bunch of changes, and did a sync, and it brought all those changes down.
Again, made some changes on Ancestry, and they would not come down.

I found that I could check the box after the Treeshare to show changes, and there are the changes.
Isn't there a way for me to tell RootsMagic to bring that data down, vs having to select each person and each piece of data?

Or am I missing something or misunderstanding something?

Basically, Ancestry is great/easy to use when I have free time at work to pop on the site and make an update or run some searches.
Same with if I'm out and about or laying in bed on my mobile device... would be nice to easily bring those down, but seems I cannot. 

Thanks,
Mark

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5928 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

After the initial download to a new database, subsequent changes have to be reviewed for each person, action decided for each difference and actions accepted, one person at a time.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

After the initial download to a new database, subsequent changes have to be reviewed for each person, action decided for each difference and actions accepted, one person at a time.

Correct. This design is very intentional and is not considered a bug by the designers. TreeShare beta testers have also been very supportive of this design.

However, some RM users who have tried TreeShare since its official release would prefer a much more automated way to approve subsequent changes. I am in the latter camp. I find that the case by case approvals take much more time to accomplish than did the changes I'm approving. Therefore, I only play around with TreeShare and it has not yet become a part of the way I work with my genealogy data. I would love to look over the shoulders of happy TreeShare users to see if they are doing something different than I am doing that is less labor intensive than what I'm trying to do.

The TreeShare design may or may not be changed some day. Nobody knows.

Jerry

#4 Savage702

Savage702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

Ok, thank you for your response.  I can stop searching like a mad man for what I'm doing wrong!  :-)

I would like to add though, they should make that apparent in the advertising for the program.  I think a lot of amateur/new genealogists out there, getting their start on Ancestry, might be lured in with the thought it would do just as I expected... I did.  Not that I dislike the program, I have a lot to learn, but I'm thinking I should explore as much history as possible on Ancestry and get that filled in, then bring it all down at once, and work from that vs a constant update battle. 

Then again, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

#5 Savage702

Savage702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Correct. This design is very intentional and is not considered a bug by the designers. TreeShare beta testers have also been very supportive of this design.

However, some RM users who have tried TreeShare since its official release would prefer a much more automated way to approve subsequent changes. I am in the latter camp. I find that the case by case approvals take much more time to accomplish than did the changes I'm approving. Therefore, I only play around with TreeShare and it has not yet become a part of the way I work with my genealogy data. I would love to look over the shoulders of happy TreeShare users to see if they are doing something different than I am doing that is less labor intensive than what I'm trying to do.

The TreeShare design may or may not be changed some day. Nobody knows.

Jerry

Thank you sir for your response.

My opinion, there should be an option to allow this, and not turned on by default.  Keeps the base happy and allows them to continue working as they do, and allows someone like me still getting a large chunk of daily data from Ancestry to get things moving.