• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vsx32

vsx32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

I want to create a switch within a switch in my obituary templates to do the following.

List the name of a family member of the deceased in an obituary and then if their relation is listed, list their relation to the deceased. 

I have it very close, but my problem is that there is a lone "." in my citation, so that if both of my fields are empty, I still have a "." hanging in my citation.

How can I tweak my template to eliminate the dangling "."?

This is my template structure so far.

<?[Survivor]|[Survivor] was mentioned in the obituary for [Name]><?[relationtodeceased]| as a/an [relationToDeceased] of deceased.|.>

Thank you in advance!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

This doesn't look like a sentence template that can possibly work in RM. The dangling period should be the least of your problems. Do you actually have it working okay in a report except for the dangling period?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 vsx32

vsx32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

I copied a source template and added my own fields, and yes, it does work aside from the dangling "."

This is my complete footnote citation:

<[ItemID], |Obituary, ><i>[Newspaper]</i>< [funeralhome]><, [Date]>.  [url]< :  accessed on [accessdate].>  [name].
<?[Survivor]|[Survivor] was mentioned in the obituary for [Name]><?[relationtodeceased]| as a/an [relationToDeceased] of deceased.|.>

This is the result I get for an actual obituary:
Obituary, Gaffey Funeral Home. www.gaffeyfh.com : accessed on 13 January 2018. Deceased Name.

I want to set it up so I don't have that dangling period under the word "obituary". The period will stay there if I add a survivor and relationship to a survivor. 

See below (this is what it looks like if I add a survivor and their relationship to the deceased.

Obituary, Gaffey Funeral Home. www.gaffeyfh.com : accessed on 13 January 2018. Deceased Name.
Survivor was mentioned in the obituary for Deceased as a/an sister of deceased.

#4 vsx32

vsx32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Finally figured it out! Just needed to move some markers around. This is it!

<?[Survivor]|[Survivor] was mentioned in the obituary for [Name]<?[RelationToDeceased]| as a/an [relationToDeceased] of deceased.|.>>

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Good for you!. Sorry, I was thinking event sentence template, not source.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.