• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Is there some way to change the Role that is used when you use the "Add multiple people" button? The program defaults to "Witness" when I really would prefer "Occupant"?

Version: 7.5.4.0

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

<Add new role type> is selectable as an option beneath Witness in the dropdown.
-OR-
From within RootsMagic... press F1 key or click Help at top menu
Choose Search tab and enter in the words to search for:
Adding Roles

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

@kbens0n - So I actually do not want to create a role, the role already exists. But I see no drop-down list box on the "Select People" dialog window. Are you seeing a list box on that window?

I also do not see a list box on the "People who share this fact" dialog window either. The only place I seem to be able to find that list box is when I select one of the persons and click the Edit window. Regrettably, that method requires you to click on each person and then choose the role from the list.

Perhaps, there is no way to choose a default role, but I thought I would check with you experts first. :)

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

Perhaps, there is no way to choose a default role, but I thought I would check with you experts first. :)

Sorry I missed that you wanted to change the default. I was referring to what you mention (individually) choosing for each after marking them or from the Edit shared event screen. My bad.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7701 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

Confirm there is no default setting for the role. It is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2930 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

I can't describe it very well, but the workflow for choosing multiple people for a share a fact seems sort of awkward somehow or other. So I always just do one person at a time. I'll go back and look at the workflow again to see if I can figure out how to put the perceived "awkwardness" into words. And it may just be me. Others may find the workflow to share facts for multiple people to be very natural.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

The "default" role is typically "Witness". Whatever it is called, it is the first role for a given fact type that is found in the database RoleTable. The OEM "Witness" role is editable in RM so you can change its name and sentence template. However, IIRC, it won't transfer to other databases via drag'n'drop or export/import, reverting instead to "Witness". 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.