5 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

I may be the only one but right now I'd find it handy to have a £.S.D. calculator built into Roots Magic. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7700 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Is that like a pounds to dollars calculator? Wouldn't that depend on the going exchange rate?  Sorry just not sure what a £.S.D. calculator is.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Sorry just not sure what a £.S.D. calculator is.

I'm not sure of Dons need but I remember it well and happy to do any conversions to NEW money :-)

"On 15 February 1971, known as Decimal Day, the United Kingdom and Ireland decimalised their currencies.

Under the old currency of pounds, shillings and pence, the pound was made up of 240 pence (denoted by the letter d for Latin denarius and now referred to as "old pence"), with 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings (denoted by s for Latin solidus) in a pound."

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

For it to be really useful, it would have to compute what the current value is of an amount expressed a century ago. And that's very tricky. I've used inflation curves published by the Ministry of Finance of Canada but they only go back so far and the basket of goods changes over time making it very approximate.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

https://www.national...cy/default0.asp

https://www.rba.gov....PreDecimal.html

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Is that like a pounds to dollars calculator? Wouldn't that depend on the going exchange rate?  Sorry just not sure what a £.S.D. calculator is.

Actually, it's a calculator for Pounds, Shillings and Pence. At 20 Shillings or 240 Pence to the Pound, it's a bit hard to do it in your head. It wasn't really a serious request. I did download and Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations. It appears that an administrator made a 1 Shilling error in calculating the value of an ancestor's estate in 1727. It was in the heir's favor. I don't think I'll say anything about it.