11 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

I'm still using RM6, so if any of these are implemented in RM7, just ignore them:

1. I'm not color blind but I find it hard to tell Green from Teal unless they're side-by-side. There should be a way to distinguish the current color coding of a person independent of the display color.
  2. The Research Log button should be highlighted somehow if there is a research log for the person
  3. Same for the To-Do button.
  4. Source list search: I currently have 606 master sources. I've adopted a source naming convention that normally allows me to find the source I'm looking for but sometimes, it can be difficult. For example: The old families of Salisbury and Amesbury, If I'm looking for someone in Amesbury, I have to know to look under Salisbury. It would be good to have a way to search the source lists. This would allow me to put surname tags in the Master Source comments and also find the families they impact.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

I'm still using RM6, so if any of these are implemented in RM7, just ignore them

Don, I believe there is no change on Item 2, 3 & 4 between RM6 and RM7.

Funny thing is we had highlighting of the To-Do button in RM3, such necessary indication never got carried over to RM4.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

The info panel in the upper left corner of the program will display the Research Log and To-Do list icons if the highlighted person has any.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

That's what those little icons mean. Well, well.  :unsure:

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2933 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

That's what those little icons mean. Well, well.  :unsure:

When I was a kid, I learned to read. And like most people, I'm pretty good at it, actually. But I'm beginning to live in a world where reading is not as valuable a skill as is the ability to decode mysterious icons. For example, for years when I was giving a presentation using PowerPoint I would initiate the presentation by clicking on the wine glass icon. I always thought that was the poorest excuse for an icon that I had ever heard of. It was only years later that I discovered that the wine glass icon was intended to be a tiny image of a tripod mounted projection screen - a kind of projection screen that's very seldom even used anymore. So I am in favor or more words and less icons.

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'm just going to throw this out there for discussion and it may fit here. We all use RM Explorer a lot so what value do you believe in RM Explorer becoming another Tab on the main screen, maybe called DETAILS?

I believe the existing side bar should be enhanced with the options to display marriage and death dates, RM Explorer already has death date which is an improvement on the main screen side bar.

I believe such an enhancement has value not only in helping further highlight some of Dons original wishes but also with the possibility of bringing a Detail view within the scope Family, Bookmarks, History and Named Groups selections.

Your thoughts are very welcome.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2933 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

I think making RM Explorer into another tab on the main screen is probably a good idea.

I would have to think through all the implications. For example, I suspect that most users display the Index Sidebar over 99% of the time. Personally, I almost never use the Index Sidebar and instead I use the Family Sidebar most of the time. I use all five of the sidebars, but I think the Index Sidebar is actually the least useful for me. I much prefer RM Explorer to the Index Sidebar, and it would be nice if it were more accessible. So here are some random thoughts.

• Adding marriage and death dates to the sidebar might make it too wide. I sometimes have to turn off the sidebar to make the main tab area wider, even without the marriage and death dates being in the sidebar.
  • Scrolling up and down the Index Sidebar fills up the History list with absolute junk. Scrolling up and down RM Explorer does not fill up the History Sidebar with anything. Some thought needs to be given about what does and what does not go into the History list.
  • I make heavy use of the Record button on RM Explorer. This button desperately needs to be visible and usable at all times. It should be possible to go to a different person by record number without having to go into RM Explorer or into any other tab or sidebar.
  • You can exit out of RM Explorer in such a way that the person you found becomes the highlighted person or in such a way that the highlighted person is not changed. This capability would need to be retained.
  • It would be nice to right click and print reports and things like that from the proposed new tab. RM Explorer does not allow you to do so.

Jerry

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2933 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

I'm still using RM6, so if any of these are implemented in RM7, just ignore them:

1. Source list search: I currently have 606 master sources. I've adopted a source naming convention that normally allows me to find the source I'm looking for but sometimes, it can be difficult. For example: The old families of Salisbury and Amesbury, If I'm looking for someone in Amesbury, I have to know to look under Salisbury. It would be good to have a way to search the source lists. This would allow me to put surname tags in the Master Source comments and also find the families they impact.

Lots of lists in RM can be navigated by typing the name you are looking for "into the list". As you type, where you are in the list moves to correspond to what you have typed. The source list is one such example.

I find this method of navigating lists to be one of the weakest parts of the RM user interface. Lists need to be both seachable and filterable. Lots and lots of Windows software has such features. RM needs such features as well.

Jerry

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

I think making RM Explorer into another tab on the main screen is probably a good idea.

I would have to think through all the implications. For example, I suspect that most users display the Index Sidebar over 99% of the time. Personally, I almost never use the Index Sidebar and instead I use the Family Sidebar most of the time. I use all five of the sidebars, but I think the Index Sidebar is actually the least useful for me. I much prefer RM Explorer to the Index Sidebar, and it would be nice if it were more accessible. So here are some random thoughts.

• Adding marriage and death dates to the sidebar might make it too wide. I sometimes have to turn off the sidebar to make the main tab area wider, even without the marriage and death dates being in the sidebar.
  •  
  • Scrolling up and down the Index Sidebar fills up the History list with absolute junk. Scrolling up and down RM Explorer does not fill up the History Sidebar with anything. Some thought needs to be given about what does and what does not go into the History list.
  •  
  • I make heavy use of the Record button on RM Explorer. This button desperately needs to be visible and usable at all times. It should be possible to go to a different person by record number without having to go into RM Explorer or into any other tab or sidebar.
  •  
  • You can exit out of RM Explorer in such a way that the person you found becomes the highlighted person or in such a way that the highlighted person is not changed. This capability would need to be retained.
  •  
  • It would be nice to right click and print reports and things like that from the proposed new tab. RM Explorer does not allow you to do so.
  •  

Jerry

I use RM Explorer a lot usually full screen so I wanted to save wearing out Ctrl+F, Alt+R is quite frequently my next stroke and thinking about it it's usually when I am remembering a record number for a merge match or adding sharees which could definitely be improved.

1. As should be normal, I would suggest the display of Marriage and Death dates should be optional RM Explorer already displays Death (non optional)

2. In my way of working I wasn't aware of this point, so History is a History of Viewed so how about yet another option for History of Edited (non default) then those who simply want to tab back through viewed records still have that option.

3. Ctrl+R is not used within the program so an obvious shortcut, I have proposed Ctrl+D for a system date and user stamp alongside Note edits.

4. I agree.

5. I also agree that right click functionality for Reporting, Quickgroups, Merge and I would add Mapping should be added to RM Explorer.

This was born out of my preference for RM Explorer, the extra detail on screen and preferred sidebar but prompted by Dons post on indicators. Those little icons are unknown and not obvious to most, I would prefer a button with a count like Webtags, the upper pane in RM Explorer would allow additional indicators.

I attach Media to events just for the indication where documentary information should be tagged to the Source. Where documentary information is tagged to a Source it remains lost from view and the little indicators top left do not reflect it's existence, this is something which must be overcome by some means. Having started to use Treeshare to beef up my documentary collection documentary Media comes in tagged to the Source where it should be but there is no general indication of it. So in the absence of Fact Media indicators one must click the Media button on each persons Edit Person screen to see the Media exists, this is unacceptable. In the past I have had the other thought that instead of a tick in the Source box it could be a camera icon where media exists.

I would hope a listening ear is out there for RM8 development so now is the time we should be discussing these things rather than living in hope.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2933 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

2. In my way of working I wasn't aware of this point, so History is a History of Viewed so how about yet another option for History of Edited (non default) then those who simply want to tab back through viewed records still have that option.

I agree with everything you said, but here is a clarification on one minor point. I think the "History of Viewed" vs. "History of Edited" question is a bit more subtle than that. Scrolling up and down the Index tab in the sidebar does not give focus to the same person on the main tab (e.g., in the Pedigree View or the in Family View, etc.). Nevertheless, any person that is highlighted in the Index side panel is placed in the History list. As I have indicated, I don't think that should happen. On the other hand, I don't think you should actually have to Edit the person to get them into the History list. Clicking on them in the main tab to give them focus in the main tab should be sufficient.

There are other similar and related problems to the way the sidebar and the main tab interact. If a person is given the focus in the sidebar, the same person is "grey lighted" in the main tab. If a person is given the focus in the main tab, the same person is "grey lighted" in the sidebar. The grey lighting is nowhere near distinct enough as compared to the normal white background that you can find the person very easily. And whether given the focus or "grey lighted", the person's color coding disappears. Yuck. Enough said about that.

And there is another and related problem in the History list that makes it much less valuable than otherwise it would be. Namely, if you work for a while in a mode where you are switching back and forth among a relatively small group of people, each time you touch a person in the main tab they get a new and duplicate entry in the History list. This clutters up the History list just as badly as does the way the sidebar works. Both problems should be addressed to improve the operation of the History list.

Finally, I seldom use the History list directly. Rather, there are forward arrow and backward arrow icons that you can add to RM's toolbar at the top of the screen. I think they should be there by default, but they are not. The forward arrow and backward arrow icons work on the History list without actually having to display the History list in the sidebar. It's a really neat and useful feature, but one made less useful than it ought to be because of they way the History list works.

Jerry

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Do you suppose this discussion is akin to rearranging the deck chairs? What if RM8 breaks from tradition and launches a very different UI? I know, not bloody likely; just being a devil's advocate. I'll bet they have their hands full just trying to get the RM7 code which they had migrated to the new development platform functioning uniformly across Mac and Windows. I'm sure there is a lot of problems considering its use of Windows-specific modules from 3rd parties. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Do you suppose this discussion is akin to rearranging the deck chairs? What if RM8 breaks from tradition and launches a very different UI? I know, not bloody likely; just being a devil's advocate. I'll bet they have their hands full just trying to get the RM7 code which they had migrated to the new development platform functioning uniformly across Mac and Windows. I'm sure there is a lot of problems considering its use of Windows-specific modules from 3rd parties. 

I'm genuinely starting to believe no one is listening but sure better to throw an idea out there than not.

I had the occasion to read a lot of reviews recently and quite a few said RM was not easy to use and similar. I know we have been there from the year dot but maybe for newcomers the flow and logical progression through processes is not as intuitive as we or Rootsmagic think.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root