I think making RM Explorer into another tab on the main screen is probably a good idea.
I would have to think through all the implications. For example, I suspect that most users display the Index Sidebar over 99% of the time. Personally, I almost never use the Index Sidebar and instead I use the Family Sidebar most of the time. I use all five of the sidebars, but I think the Index Sidebar is actually the least useful for me. I much prefer RM Explorer to the Index Sidebar, and it would be nice if it were more accessible. So here are some random thoughts.
- Adding marriage and death dates to the sidebar might make it too wide. I sometimes have to turn off the sidebar to make the main tab area wider, even without the marriage and death dates being in the sidebar.
- Scrolling up and down the Index Sidebar fills up the History list with absolute junk. Scrolling up and down RM Explorer does not fill up the History Sidebar with anything. Some thought needs to be given about what does and what does not go into the History list.
- I make heavy use of the Record button on RM Explorer. This button desperately needs to be visible and usable at all times. It should be possible to go to a different person by record number without having to go into RM Explorer or into any other tab or sidebar.
- You can exit out of RM Explorer in such a way that the person you found becomes the highlighted person or in such a way that the highlighted person is not changed. This capability would need to be retained.
- It would be nice to right click and print reports and things like that from the proposed new tab. RM Explorer does not allow you to do so.
I use RM Explorer a lot usually full screen so I wanted to save wearing out Ctrl+F, Alt+R is quite frequently my next stroke and thinking about it it's usually when I am remembering a record number for a merge match or adding sharees which could definitely be improved.
1. As should be normal, I would suggest the display of Marriage and Death dates should be optional RM Explorer already displays Death (non optional)
2. In my way of working I wasn't aware of this point, so History is a History of Viewed so how about yet another option for History of Edited (non default) then those who simply want to tab back through viewed records still have that option.
3. Ctrl+R is not used within the program so an obvious shortcut, I have proposed Ctrl+D for a system date and user stamp alongside Note edits.
4. I agree.
5. I also agree that right click functionality for Reporting, Quickgroups, Merge and I would add Mapping should be added to RM Explorer.
This was born out of my preference for RM Explorer, the extra detail on screen and preferred sidebar but prompted by Dons post on indicators. Those little icons are unknown and not obvious to most, I would prefer a button with a count like Webtags, the upper pane in RM Explorer would allow additional indicators.
I attach Media to events just for the indication where documentary information should be tagged to the Source. Where documentary information is tagged to a Source it remains lost from view and the little indicators top left do not reflect it's existence, this is something which must be overcome by some means. Having started to use Treeshare to beef up my documentary collection documentary Media comes in tagged to the Source where it should be but there is no general indication of it. So in the absence of Fact Media indicators one must click the Media button on each persons Edit Person screen to see the Media exists, this is unacceptable. In the past I have had the other thought that instead of a tick in the Source box it could be a camera icon where media exists.
I would hope a listening ear is out there for RM8 development so now is the time we should be discussing these things rather than living in hope.