• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

The other night I happened to have my laptop and 40 minutes to spare but no Internet connection. I started RM and got a warning about not being able to connect to Ancestry.com which was to be expected with a single button to "Retry". I closed the dialog without pressing the button since I knew that a connection would never be established. From then on I received this warning every 60 seconds. What's worse is that this condition also prevented RM from closing normally and it just locked up on me.

It would be far better to just offer an ignore button that would suppress these messages until the next time the application was restarted.

I realize I could go into settings and disable the automatic connection to Ancestry.com but why would a program force users to make a semi-permanent settings change to handle a temporary condition? From a software use perspective that would be less than ideal.

Still loving this application though.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

Despite all of the big software vendors' insistence, the world is really NOT ready for full time cloud computing.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

You had probably selected automatic login on the TreeShare screen. It will continue to try and login with that setting. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:07 AM

@Renee

Yes, I know I set the automatic login and I even posted that in the first entry and explained the situation further. No setting should ever make a program hang up where you need to use Task Manager to kill it.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

It would be far better to just offer an ignore button that would suppress these messages until the next time the application was restarted.

The messages weren't the problem... so a button to suppress them would do nothing. The problem was the internet communication attempts. So a button to turn off the communication attempts would be the solution. Renee is merely advising you that deselecting automatic login WAS the "button" (that you're asking for) to solve this issue. Granted, detecting the absence of internet connectivity could be programmed to bypass those login attempts, but now that you know an alternative... I bet everything will work for you just fine if/when you run into this again.

No setting should ever make a program hang up where you need to use Task Manager to kill it.

Says the person who KNEW to go to End Task because they have had to numerous other times where programs hang ;-)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

@kbens0n - Yes, I know about Task Manager but that does not make the situation right, what kind of logic is that?

I'm not sure you are understanding the issue if you think the continual messages are not the problem. Sure, it only makes sense that they would throw a message about a connection error if you have Automatic connect enabled. What defies reason is why they would keep displaying that message to the user every 60 seconds to the point that it actually caused a race condition upon program shutdown. Your comment about turning off connection attempts is valid and perhaps a button to ignore is not necessary. However, in that case, you would have to notify the user in some fashion that Internet hints and TreeSync will not work so that users facing temporary connectivity issues are not confused.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

@kbens0n - Yes, I know about Task Manager but that does not make the situation right, what kind of logic is that?

To be very clear. I'm saying that the repeated messages were neither the cause of any race condition nor a reason to use Task manager and that had you seen the first message and gone to the setting and changed it... there would have been no further issue.

I'm not sure you are understanding the issue if you think the continual messages are not the problem. Sure, it only makes sense that they would throw a message about a connection error if you have Automatic connect enabled. What defies reason is why they would keep displaying that message to the user every 60 seconds to the point that it actually caused a race condition upon program shutdown. Your comment about turning off connection attempts is valid and perhaps a button to ignore is not necessary. However, in that case, you would have to notify the user in some fashion that Internet hints and TreeSync will not work so that users facing temporary connectivity issues are not confused.

I'm not sure you're understanding the very purpose of those messages being displayed to you. Instead, you just want to ignore it and then use a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:16 AM

@kbens0n - I see, in your mind the continual warning message is a feature. Well sir, that is just where you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree.

However, I might add that you might want to read https://msdn.microso...fication_choice .

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

@kbens0n - I see, in your mind the continual warning message is a feature. Well sir, that is just where you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree.

However, I might add that you might want to read https://msdn.microso...fication_choice .

Looks like a Wish List item you could register (and which may or may not get implemented). I was talking about "in the meantime". Cheers ~

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

The warning is a feature, because those that are depending on WebHints need to know if there is no connection or it was lost. If you go to Internet>TreeShare for Ancestry you can logout and it will remove the automatic login and it won't give you any more warnings. Because people don't understand how this works this has been added to the development to be looked at. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Since i had this issue two while trying to get a bunch of updates done on a plane I would suggest that when no internet is available (something you can test for) that one message be sent saying no internet (and thus no web hints from anyone) will be available until a connection is made and not send any more messages for the remainder of the session. This is a common action in other "pseudo-cloud" type software.

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3061 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

I would suggest that when no internet is available (something you can test for) that one message be sent saying no internet (and thus no web hints from anyone) will be available until a connection is made and not send any more messages for the remainder of the session.

And never, never, never, never, never let RM get into a situation where the lack of an internet connection will prevent a clean shutdown.

Jerry