#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

I seem to be missing something.

I want to search my notes WITHOUT replacing text.

When I go into Search/Find Everywhere it searches people, families, and citations.  It doesn't search notes.

When I go into Search/Search & Replace I can select NOTES - GENERAL; however, when I put in my search item in the "Search for" field, it wants to replace it with something in the "Replace With" field.

I just want to search for something like "Tower of London" in my notes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reb Orrell

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

When I go into Search/Find Everywhere it searches people, families, and citations.

Under People results it clearly labels each block as Note: or Name Note: ETC.
Perhaps try again and choose (edit) link for individual to go to the notes.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Thanks - yes the following works:

Search

Person List

Find

Note (general) "contains" {search phrase}

Works great.

Is there a way to run this as a report?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Is there a way to run this as a report?

Yes, you can make a custom report that does what you want.

Making custom reports is not always quite as straightforward as you might wish, but neither is it rocket science. They key is to understand that there are two largely unrelated tasks that you have to perform to make a custom report.

The first task is to define the format of the report. The "format" is essentially a list of fields that you want to see. In your case, the list of fields will probably be something like the names of the people plus the field "Note (general)".

The second task is to determine the list of the people for whom the report is to be generated. You can make the list as a part of running the custom report, or even better you can make the list by creating a group. Either way, the creation of the list of people requires the specification of a search criteria. In your case, your search criteria will be Note (general) "contains" {search phrase} - the criteria you have already learned how to specify.

The thing that might seem confusing for your particular report is that the idea of "Note (general)" has to appear in both your tasks. But this is really almost just an accident. For example, you might instead make a custom report with the same fields selected but your search criteria might be something like "Last Name is Smith" or "birth date is after 1900" or any other such criteria.

Finally, if you get into the dialog to create custom reports, remember that you are describing one line of the report and that one line will appear for every person selected for the report. The report will look a great deal like a spreadsheet. Except that the dialog to create the custom report has two lines. So why does the dialog have two lines when you are only defining the format of one line?  Well, the first line you are defining is only defining headings that at the top of the columns at the top of each page of the report. It's the second line of the dialog to create the report where you specify the fields you want to see on each line of the report.

Jerry

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

You don't need a custom report. This will do the trick:

Reports
Lists
Individual list