14 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

I have been using dropbox with the Roots Magic App on mhy iphone 7.  Lately I am getting a message on the top of the screen when I try to save to dropbox that says "the request to link is unvalid."  I contacted dropbox and they said  "Based on the description you provided, it looks like the third party app you're using is no longer working because it is still using the older version of the Dropbox API, which was recently retired. The developer of the third party app will need to update it for it to continue working.

Please reach out to the support organization for that app for an updated version. If the developers of this app are having any trouble with the Dropbox API itself, they can reach out to Dropbox developer support directly with the relevant technical details for help"

On the dropbox app, it does not ask me to authorize Roots Magic.

How do I contact Roots Magic help and get assistance on this issue?

Thank you..Old Bob

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Since you posted this in the RM6 forum, it would appear that you are using an older version of RM. Have you tried upgrading to the latest version of RM?

https://www.rootsmagic.com/App/

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7770 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

The Dropbox API changed and it was updated in RM7. So you will have to save to your local Dropbox folder on your computer instead of using that feature in RM6. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

thank you Renee..sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.   I always see that permission error when I save to drop box, but when I go to the iphone, If I go to files on the bottom and select my family and refresh,  it does refresh and tells me I have new data and do I want to sync.  Don't understand why but if it works I don't have to. 

I am a bit technically lost but just noticed on the top of my RM6 program when I open the program is

c:\users\my name\dropbox\apps\rootsmagic\myfamily name.rmgc

Is that normal?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7770 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Yes, the top of the RM desktop program should show the location and filename of the database.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5782 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

That said, you should not work on the database file in the Dropbox folder/subfolder unless you pause Dropbox sync at risk of conflict betwen the local and cloud versions and possible corruption.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

Tom, how do you pause dropbox sync?  Just turn off the dropbox app or just right click on the icon and select to pause sync?  You mean to tell me when I open RM I am always on the dropbox file and not on the file that I on my laptop?  I am a bit confused and frightened of loosing my RM file?  I am not too good with the cloud..which cloud is dropbox saving my file on?  the only cloud I know of is my iphone cloud.

How do I have the program point to the file on the laptop and not the file on dropbox and only sync when I open dropbox?

Now when I open RM, the path is to my saved RM file on my laptop where yesterday it was to the dropbox file..I am very confused.

so I tried to do a back up from the laptop and browsed to the dropbox apps folder but it copies the rmgb file and that file is much smaller than the .rmgc file which is also listed in the dropbpx app files.  I went to the iphone and tried to sync and it will not..just loads the last file from yesterday.

Open for any detailed suggestions.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I reread this whole thread, and unless I missed something I cannot tell if the main RM database file that you are using is in Dropbox or not. What is the complete filepath of your RM database file (from the top of your RM screen)? It should start with something like C:\Users\ and then some more stuff.

Jerry

#9 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Sorry I am confusing you all..I know you are trying to help me. Right now my top line says C:user\Me\documents\ and the folder where I back up my files to on the laptop. (I do not know how it was at one time reading sometime the dropbox file)

In this thread Renee said I cannot use the save to dropbox feature because I am using RM6 so I went to where I kept the back up files .rmgb file on the laptop and copied them and pasted them to the dropbox>apps> RM folder and it did not work so I went back and copied the master .rmgc files to that dropbox folder and it seemed to work.  Is this the correct way to update/sync from the laptop to the iphone with dropbox using rm ver 6?

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Sorry I am confusing you all..I know you are trying to help me. Right now my top line says C:user\Me\documents\ and the folder where I back up my files to on the laptop. (I do not know how it was at one time reading sometime the dropbox file)

In this thread Renee said I cannot use the save to dropbox feature because I am using RM6 so I went to where I kept the back up files .rmgb file on the laptop and copied them and pasted them to the dropbox>apps> RM folder and it did not work so I went back and copied the master .rmgc files to that dropbox folder and it seemed to work.  Is this the correct way to update/sync from the laptop to the iphone with dropbox using rm ver 6?

Your database is not "in Dropbox". It doesn't have to be "in Dropbox" to use the mobile app.

The mobile app cannot read RMGB files. It can only read RMGC files.

RM's backup facility makes RMGB files. It doesn't matter whether you are backing up to your hard disk or to Dropbox or to Google Drive. The backup facility is making RMGB files. RMGB files cannot be used with the mobile app.

Copying your RMGC file to the /DropBox/Apps/RootsMagic/ folder is one of the supported ways to make your RM data available to the mobile app. I think it's the easiest way, and it's the way I have chosen to do it. It should work the first time and every time.  BE SURE THIS IS ONLY A COPY OF THE RM DATABASE YOU UPDATE WITH RM AND THAT IS NOT THE ACTUAL RM DATABASE THAT YOU UPDATE WITH RM.

Jerry

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5782 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

I am a bit technically lost but just noticed on the top of my RM6 program when I open the program is

c:\users\my name\dropbox\apps\rootsmagic\myfamily name.rmgc

That time you opened the file that was in the Dropbox folder.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Thank you Jerry and all for your help.  I will just not use the copy to dropbox anymore.just copy the .rmgc master files and copy to the dropbox RM folder as instructed!  Whew!  RELIEF!

So the two .rmgb files in the dropbox folder should be deleted as they will never be used by the app. right?

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

So the two .rmgb files in the dropbox folder should be deleted as they will never be used by the app. right?

Correct.

Jerry

#14 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

thank you again for all your help..all is working great now and all cleaned up for the new year.. :) :) :)

#15 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

My issue is again not working.  The mobile app is not updating the .rmgc Master files that I copied to the dropbox RM folder as you previously suggested here in this thread.  It was working.    I created a new desktop shortcut to open RM and it correctly opens to my master files on the PC (not the dropbox file),  I added a death fact for a person.  Then I went to the master file location on the PC and right click and said COPY the master .rmgc file and went to file explorer to dropbox and paste into RM folder .  it asked me to overwrite.I said yes. The date and time changed to this newer version.  

I have the app and dropbox on the ipad and iphone set to back up and even update in the background if that makes a difference.

When I click on the app, and select the family, it opens the older version and not the updated..I used to get a message that said the database has changed and do I want to put in the new one and I previously said yes..I am no longer getting this message

I even tried to unlink the file and relink..still the app will not update.

I even tried on the app to select the bottom Files..select dropbox and then my family..still the old version. 

What on earth am I missing.. It was working the last time you helped me so it must be me. 

I am so careful as to not corrupt or loose my family.

Any other suggestions.

SOLUTION I THINK SO OTHERS CAN LEARN

Solution:  there were two files on dropbox..probably the dropbox and PC one?..actually noticed finally when I went to copy the rmgc file to dropbox ..it asked me to overwrite and there was a “compare files” option.  Found two files and selected the most recent and then when I went to the app..it updated (ipad had to go to files on bottom and select dropbox to find new one on the dropbox.)  To test I again made a change and when it asked me to overwrite there was still an option to compare files..still two..but ust said to overwrite..and the app updated when I selected dropbox version.  Don’t really know why there is two..maybe a dropbox version and a copy of the pc version..left alone.  Its working again..

I also think I discovered that the dropbox program has to be active on the pc in order for updates to cross to mobile devices..that might be a simple thing but a detail I overlooked..

Do let me know if I need to do anything else.