• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

I am new using RootsMagic.  I am using the latest version. 

I have a source that is being used by 6 people.  I am trying to include date of birth and death. 

In the narrative report two of the six have a birth and death date in the EndNotes.  The other 4 do not.  If I go look at the Master Source List the source has the key words for birth and death.  The Source Template has the key words for birth and death. 

If I edit the Master Source the dates are in the Master Source as well as to the right in the Footnotes.  All 6 have dates on the Master Source. 

As far as I can tell I am using the same Source Template and same Master Source on all 6.  There has to be something different or they would all work.

Where do I need to look or what do I need to change to get dates on all 6?

I have never really understood sources and citations.  I have watched the RootsMagic source videos several times.

Thanks,

Dale

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Screenshots of your RM screens would help to identify the problem. These forums do not support posting images, but there are places on the Internet where you can post images for free and then link to the images from these forums.

In the meantime, I'm guessing from your description that the source template you are using is one of your own design. If so, then that's fine. I use source templates of my own design rather than the built-in templates, and the templates of my own design meet my needs very well. But I would have to ask if the birth and death fields in your source templates are marked for storage in the Master Source part of the template or in the Source Details part of the template? I would think that the fields would need to be in the Source Details part of the template and that if they are in the Master Source part of the template that could be a part of the problem.

Jerry

#3 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

The Birth and Death dates are in the Source Detail part of the template.

Dale

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

The Birth and Death dates are in the Source Detail part of the template.

So that's not the problem. Can you try posting your images at postimages.org and linking the images to here?

Jerry

#5 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Does this help?  I don't think there are any images in this.

Here is the source template

[CemeteryName]<, [CemeteryAddress]><, [web]><, [name]><, birth [Birth]><; death [Dateofdeath]><; [Notes]><; Find A Grave, Memorial # [mem]>.

Master Source Footnote

Footnote:
Springway Cemetery, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia, United States, Weldon Randolph "Sonny" Gilbert, birth 20 January 1914; death 22 May 1984; Find A Grave, Memorial # 111479140.

Here is 3 people from the narrative report

8. Springway Cemetery, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia, USA, John D Gilbert, birth December 1866; death 7 May
1939; Find A Grave, Memorial # 46721721.
9. Springway Cemetery, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia, USA, Josephine "Josie" J Gilbert; Find A Grave, Memorial
# 46721764.
28. Springway Cemetery, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia, United States, Weldon Randolph "Sonny" Gilbert; Find A
Grave, Memorial # 111479140.

#6 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

What images do you need?

Dale

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

From the Edit Source screen for each of these three citations, click the Citation tab and capture the screen. That should require three screen captures in all, one for each of the citations.

Don't do it from Lists->Source List... because you won't see the Source Details that way. You need to be at the Edit Person screen and drill down to the respective Edit Source screen and select the respective Citation tab.

Jerry

#8 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Are these the images that you wanted?  I don't see how it could be different unless it is using different templates.  If I am looking in the right place they are using the same templates.

Thanks

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

#9 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Is it suppose to show the images?  I put the links not the pictures on here.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Your images are just fine.

I may be missing something obvious, but the footnotes in your images look correct to me - including the desired birth dates and death dates. Are you saying that the footnotes do not look the same at the bottom of the page (true footnotes) or at the end of the report (endnotes) when you you actually run a report?

If that's the problem, then here is a thought. Have you been changing your source template as you are adding citations which use the source template? There's nothing wrong with doing so, but there is a bug in RM involving source templates that you change. At least, I consider it a bug. I'm not sure if the RM developers consider it a bug. Namely, if you change a source template, then footnotes based on that source template may not change until you go back and "touch" the citations based on that source template. By "touching", I mean that you open them and look at them, and then close them. The problem I'm describing does not always happen, and I personally do not understand the exact circumstances under which the problem happens and the problem does not happen.

But the questions remain, do the footnotes when you run a report match the footnotes from the images you posted? And did you change the source template somewhere in the middle of creating these citations, with some of the citations created before changing the source template and some of the citations created after changing the source template?

Jerry

#11 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

When I run a narrative report some of the Endnotes have birth and death dates and some don't.  I have 22 using this template.  Ten have birth and death dates and the rest don't.

I am trying to figure out Sources and Citations using a small file.  I am adding and changing the citations and Sources.

If I see something I don't like or is incorrect I change the templates.  I added the birth and death dates after the templates were used.

I imported my TMG file and I am trying to change the sources to fit in RootsMagic.  Once I figure this out I will start on my main file.

I went in and changed some of my citation details from USA to United States.  It made no difference on the narrative Endnotes.  I opened and closed the source from the Source List.  No difference.

Hopefully it is the problem you described and RootsMagic will fix it.

Thanks for your help,

Dale

#12 craigg

craigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Just a thought as we don't have information about the templates for footnote and short foot note. Is it possible the lack of the dates is because the short footnote is being generated for the items missing the dates and the sentence template for short footnote does not contain the date fields.

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5928 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I think Craigg nailed it. Add the date field to the Short Footnote sentence template.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#14 doconnor4547

doconnor4547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

I added the dates to the short footnote and ran the report.

All of the ones that did not have dates now have dates.

Thank you Craigg.

Dale