#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

Sanity Check

I would like to have a "sanity check" regarding the synchronization of my family trees in Roots Magic and in Ancestry.com. Any pro and con comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use RM as my primary data base and Ancestry, as well as Family Search and others, as research tools. My current Ancestry tree is "private". I would like to share that tree with family later, after I have completed a thorough review of my RM tree.

My chief concern is the speed and ease of updating my RM tree. After several months of attempting to use WebHints and Tree Share to sync my RM tree with my Ancestry tree, my experience so far has been less than "stellar".  My focus now is on completing my RM tree as accurately and efficiently as possible.

My plan is to complete a review of my Roots Magic Tree by comparing it to Ancestry, using any existing WebHints from Ancestry etc, and update, and edit, my RM tree as appropriate. As each member of my RM tree has been reviewed and edited, I then add them to a Group called "RM Review Completed".  This only requires updating and correcting one family tree, not two. I am not updating Ancestry at this time.

Once all of my RM tree (or whatever sub-division of it I choose) has been reviewed, I will export a GEDCOM, using the Reviewed Group, which I will then use to create a new RM Database.

(First, one additional item -
I have found that using event sharing in RM is highly effecient, has good maintenance functionality, and saves me a ton of time. I have read and participated in numerous discussions in this forum about the difficulties that event sharing creates when sharing data with other software platforms, such as Ancestry.com, GEDCOM's, etc. I have used the split shared events tool that Tom Holden added to his RMTrix utility. (http://sqlitetoolsfo...d to Individual). I plan to make a copy of my original RM data base and then run the split shared events tool on the database copy before creating the GEDCOM of the Reviewed Group. This will solve the data transfer issue, and there is no need to stop using event sharing in RM.)

I will then disconnect the new database from Ancestry TreeShare, and upload to a new Ancestry tree. All of my RM tree updates will therefore be passed to Ancestry all at once, instead of piecemeal. This new Ancestry tree should match my RM Reviewed Group data base exactly. I can then make the new Ancestry tree "public" for sharing with family. This process could be repeated as needed when new members are added to my RM tree and Review Group. I would just have to rename the Ancestry tree each time I did a new upload. My old Ancestry trees could then be deleted if desired. 

So far, the only "glitch" in this plan is that Ancestry will turn hints back on in the new tree. However, they can be checked rather quickly by using WebHints, or by looking at them in Ancestry, and either accept them in WebHints, or ignore them in Ancestry, if they have already been handled. You can also just turn off hints in the new databases.

This approach avoids most of the process, or data base difference, issues (Many of which have been discussed at length in this forum) involved with the slow process of trying to sync my RM tree back to my Ancestry tree using TreeShare. 

I hope this has not rambled too much. I would like to hear what others think about this strategy.

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#2 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Word of caution:

Currently, if you ignore the web hints on Ancestry your new tree won't get indexed by Ancestry. Thus, others won't be able to find it -- even if it is public.

Randy Seaver has an extensive blog on this issue: http://www.geneamusi...xing-rules.html

Even after you accept the hints, it may take a few months before your tree is indexed. (my latest blog on issue: https://heartlandgen...estry-indexing/)

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

mcphilbrick

Thanks for this insight into "indexing". I was really not that familiar with this issue. I don't want to sound indifferent, and I know you have to "give to get", but my primary concern is continuing research and development on my RM tree. The ability to share my family tree through Ancestry would be a nice feature. (you can invite family members to view your tree, whether or not they are Ancestry subscribers).  I do want my Ancestry tree to be sync'd with my RM tree, but it seems that at every turn there are a new set of obstacles to making that happen. (examples - sources that are records and records that are sources, census records that are residence events, shared records that will not transfer to Ancestry, and now records that will not be indexed in Ancestry unless you act on the hints etc etc). The effort required to make all this happen is, in my opinion, excessive. I have spent so much time trying to reconcile Ancestry with RM that it has virtually stopped my research efforts. Hence, I have decided to focus on my RM tree and stop trying to update Ancestry. I will continue to work on my old RM and Ancestry databases, and to work Ancestry Web Hints in RM, but I'm not going to use Tree Share for now. Instead, I am using groups to identify those tree members who have been reviewed in RM, versus those that I have been reviewed and already synced with Ancestry. That way, I can go back in the future and work those that have not been synced.

Thanks again for your input.

Rick

RickL

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2977 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

I would like to have a "sanity check" regarding the synchronization of my family trees in Roots Magic and in Ancestry.com.

The Rootsmagic - Ancestry exchange of information is a sharing and not a synchronization, see the document linked below.

https://www.rootsmag...ncestry_FAQ.pdf

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.4.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

That's a good point. Perhaps having the wrong expectation has added to the frustration. If you aren't trying to make the two data bases the same, and you are just pulling information from one, or adding information to the other, then the process is not so rigid and it is easier to accept the platform differences.

Thanks 

RickL

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5593 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

I'm unclear what the GEDCOM is intended for. Is that what you will upload to a new Ancestry Member Tree or is it your intention to upload via TreeShare to a new AMT and the GEDCOM is for something else?

If you have used TreeShare to download Ancestry Source records to your database, then be aware that when exported to GEDCOM, or when the AMT and the database are TreeShare "Disconnected", or when the database is copied to a new database, these Ancestry Sources will become Other Sources in the newly created AMT. WebHints for these Ancestry Sources will also be regenerated, not only the ones previously rejected. If you want to preserve them as Ancestry Sources in the new AMT and avoid uploading their media and getting WebHints that are duplicates, try my Disconnect but preserve Ancestry Sources links for next Upload.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:15 AM

@TomH

I'm sure you have been told this many times, but you are awesome!

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

@TomH

Actually, I misspoke. I meant to say that I would create a new RM database using the group called "RM Review Completed". I would then use TreeShare to upload this new RM Tree to a new Tree in Ancestry.

However, after reading all the posts and thinking about this some more, I believe I will just continue to work with the old RM and Ancestry trees and avoid all the problems associated with breaking the Tree Share connection. Instead I will just focus on the Ancestry Web Hints and share that data with my RM Tree, closing the hints as I go.

Eventually, when my RM tree review is completed (of course that will probably be never), I can either use tree share to share back the other way, or consider creating a whole new Ancestry Tree, using the "Disconnect but Preserve" tool you referenced.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

RickL