• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

So I miss seeing my ids in Legacy and I was thinking that you guys could take the concept one step further.

If we could have a tab where we could enter ids (e.g. SSN numbers, Find-A-Grave memorial ids, WikiTree, etc.)

You could also display FamilySearch ids on this tab too so we could safely hide that id from being next to the name.

Another cool option would be to allow us to add custom id fields. In addition to the name of the id you could allow us to enter a URL template where we can use something like #ID# in the URL to represent where the id should be placed before sending request to web browser.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

I have not used Legacy to the same level as you but I am having trouble visualizing your TAB?

Social security # is a fact type in Rootsmagic, WebTags can be added to a Person, Source, Citation, Place and Research Log already, maybe you just need to explore more how Rootsmagic does things through the learning center under the Help menu. Whilst Legacy has a lot of useful features I always found it cluttered, as a long time user of Rootsmagic and Family Origins before that I believe the vendors want to avoid that clutter as far as possible.

The other important consideration is that all information needs to be transferable via Gedcom, this hasn't always been the case with FTM, Legacy and TMG programs in the past to users disappointment.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

@ tealduck,

There's an Individual Fact for entering SSN Numbers: "Soc Sec No"

There's also an individual Fact for entering Custom ID (and any other ID number you might want to use): "Reference No" and you could insert multiple "Reference No" Facts if necessary.

The main advantage to those (as mentioned above) is that they will (should) transfer to/from other genealogy software products using GEDCOM export/import.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#4 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

@Vyger

Yes, you are correct I am a new user for RootsMagic and maybe that is why I have a fresh perspective on this.

It is true that you can create WebTags for each individual but what if the URL changes for the master URL? Are you suggesting that it is easier for us to go through each and every web tag and make the change? I thought the goal of these programs was to make our lives easier and not more difficult. I'm really not even talking about cluttering the GUI either. We are talking about a tab to hold ids so the ideas do not clutter up your events and facts listing. That makes for a much cleaner view of the individual in my opinion.

In regards to social security numbers, that is a named attribute in GEDCOM and does not have to be a generic attribute record.

Legacy does not have any problems exporting compliant GEDCOM, you really should not defame other software without knowing the facts,

#5 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

@mjashby - Yes, I should have elaborated that the ids would be converted to FACT records in GEDCOM.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

@tealduck

And how would they be converted on import?

Google this "Legacy has several information fields that don't have a standard GEDCOM tag associated with them"

Record

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#7 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:40 AM

@Vyger

Did you actually read any of the listings from that Google search? All of those articles seem to reference the custom fields which are allowed in GEDCOM. Another news flash is that Roots Magic uses custom tags too. All existing web tags for instance use a custom GEDCOM tag. The Id facts would be no different.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

@Vyger

Yes, you are correct I am a new user for RootsMagic and maybe that is why I have a fresh perspective on this.

It is true that you can create WebTags for each individual but what if the URL changes for the master URL? Are you suggesting that it is easier for us to go through each and every web tag and make the change? I thought the goal of these programs was to make our lives easier and not more difficult. I'm really not even talking about cluttering the GUI either. We are talking about a tab to hold ids so the ideas do not clutter up your events and facts listing. That makes for a much cleaner view of the individual in my opinion.

In regards to social security numbers, that is a named attribute in GEDCOM and does not have to be a generic attribute record.

Legacy does not have any problems exporting compliant GEDCOM, you really should not defame other software without knowing the facts,

I'm not in contest with you and yes I did read the comments. The reason I quoted the search text from the Legacy site was following your comment above that "Legacy does not have any problems exporting compliant GEDCOM"

@mjashby - Yes, I should have elaborated that the ids would be converted to FACT records in GEDCOM.

To be Gedcom compliant and to facilitate compatibility with other programs the avoidance of non standard Gedcom tags needs to be observed wherever possible. Yes the ids could be converted to FACTS on Gedcom export but you did not answer my question explaining how you such converted ids would be treated on import into Rootsmagic or any other genealogy program, please explain how you see this working? I would say they would now be facts after following your model and not ids?

Any number of custom facts can be created in Rootsmagic, on export they use the EVEN tag which is compliant with the Gedcom standard and other programs. Many users including myself use these for research purposes and they can be used to create Named Groups.

I won't be replying further to this thread and I am not dismissing your idea, just trying to help you define it and expand on it. My advice would be to read more on compatibility between programs and describe in detail how your vision would work, after that the decision is one for Rootsmagic, I don't speak for them.

I understand you miss Legacy, every program I know has it's own proprietary features, generally not fully Gedcom compliant.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7700 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Where do you see this tab in Legacy.  I can see on the Person screen boxes at the bottom to add: User ID, AFN, FamilySearch ID, and Find A Grave ID. All of those would be facts in RM. I would assume User ID is Reference No. I didn't see a SSN field so that must be added as a separate fact in Legacy. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 tealduck

tealduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

@Renee

That's just it, Legacy does not have that. They just have a few ids at the bottom of the individual screen like you mentioned. I was just thinking about expounding on this to surpass Legacy. Personally I'm glad I made the switch to Roots Magic as it does seem to be much more powerful with a cleaner interface. On some things you have to click more (like entering sourcing) but for the most part it seems to a better fit.

I just think this feature would be a nice to have and never anticipated the level of push back for a wish list item. Most of the users on this forum seem helpful so I won't let this one case bother me too much.

The developers have more important things to focus on anyways, so this was more a pipe dream than anything else.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

@tealduck

I just think this feature would be a nice to have and never anticipated the level of push back for a wish list item. Most of the users on this forum seem helpful so I won't let this one case bother me too much.

I'm sorry if you perceived my posts as "push back" they were only intended to open the discussion and grasp all the implications.

When I first took a project to my manager I came away with much work to do and slightly deflated as I could not give him definitive answers to his many questions. I quickly learned to think things through more thoroughly, the implications to other users, the interfacing with other applications and to anticipate the questions he would throw at me. I learned to discuss my ideas with a number of individuals I could trust not to steal my IP and gain their input. As a result he seldom catches me with questions I have not prepared for now and IF he feels the project has value we are then ready to enter the testing/evaluation stage. This stage is much more challenging than design because many users now throw "what if" and "why can't"  questions into the ring, some are valuable insight worth implementing and some are just personal likes, that is the way of software development.

BTW, my job has nothing to do with Rootsmagic, my opinion is sought because I am, by nature, a critical thinker, not always right though.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7700 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Vyger's questions are good so we can understand exactly what your looking for. Sometimes it hard to see what a users is envisioning in their mind. There also might be ways to achieve what you want inside RM already.

Have you considered adding facts for each of the IDs that you are want to look at for a person? The Record Number and FamilySearch ID are embedded in the person so you don't need to add facts for them. Then you could customize the People View to display each ID in separate columns. This will allow you to sort on the columns. The Record Number is already on the People View, but you can add the FamilySearch ID as a column to the People View. Then when you switch to the People View you can sort on the ID column your looking for or view them all for the person in their row. 

I think this would show what you already want within a view inside of RM.

Renee
RootsMagic