• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 genefuehrer

genefuehrer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

I have been using RM7 for 3 years and would like to see some changes. I noticed on Facebook page that changes don't happen quickly based on comments there.  :(

We need a repeat/duplicate key. Other programs have this. I asked for this 3 years ago when I left TMG.

When we add a spouse why can't the program add a married name automatically. TMG use to do this. Along with that why can't the program automatically change the color once we mark it to a quickgroup.

Also why can't the program put the children and spouse in date order as they are entered. Why do we have to have the program do this manually? Other programs do this also.

I don't understand why I have to disable web hints in order to compact the database. Why can't the program been fixed to disable the web hints before doing a data compact?

I am not asking for the impossible when I see/have seen other programs do this.

thanks

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

I have been using RM7 for 3 years and would like to see some changes. I noticed on Facebook page that changes don't happen quickly based on comments there.   :(

I have been a user for over 20 years, Family Origins before Rootsmagic and my personal opinion is that small enhancements and common sense fixes did happen a lot quicker in the past and I'm disappointed that these little productivity tweaks are not dealt with more quickly.

The inability to even PRINT the associations of Place Details is just beyond me, it's exactly the same routine that is used on the Place List where it prints every fact using a unique PlaceID from the PlaceTable. Place Details were introduced in Rootsmagic March 2009 so it will soon be NINE years waiting on this simple enhancement which could be reporting all those associated with a particular Church, Hospital or cemetery. Other programs report this in a live on screen fashion where you can move directly the association, Rootsmagic is behind in that matter.

Other programs automatically parse manually pasted Latitude and Longitude data into the two components, with Rootsmagic one has to manually edit both fields, this is just so unproductive, this is so simple to program, half an hour would provide that fix !!

Your valuable requests will be added to the "enhancement request list" which, in my opinion, must be bursting at the seams by now. I have always been a strong supporter of Rootsmagic but such small and obvious productivity enhancements need to be added as they are identified to the advantage of all users and not left on the shelf for years.

Since you are only 3 years with Rootsmagic you might find some interesting reading on the thread below and be able to offer your own opinions. Every user works slightly differently so obvious productivity enhancements are often not seen by everyone.

http://forums.rootsm...uture-versions/

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 genefuehrer

genefuehrer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Hi - I would also like to see more colors made available for color coding. I am using RM  for several family lines and don't want to have to split the data base so that I can color code each line. 

Another thing that I would find  useful is that RM should be able to sort some items without using a sort date. Items such as Alternative name when the name is "married name". Now it is sorting alphabetically so the Alt Name goes before the Marriage date. Why can't it come after marriage date without having to enter a sort date?

Also LDS temple facts, why can't these items sort based on the proper order if all occur on on the same day. Right now we have to again use sort dates. 

Prior programs that I have used had/did all of the above. Yes I used TMG which was ahead of a lot of programs, but RM can/should be able to catch up for the professional genealogist.

Lets make RM easier to use. :)

thanks

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

I would like to add my support to your change requests although they have mostly been wished for before and I would encourage starting a new thread for each item.

I see RM has not updated this thread yet as being logged so I would like to add to your logical sorting of events request if I may.

RM has no utility to identify identical events, nearly same events nor a combine utility to clean these up, that has also been wished for over many years. In line with your wish for vital event sorting on screen I would like to see identical events sorted by their event name so grouped together. At present, in the absence of a utility to identify these duplicate events with a view to cleaning them up, this is painful on the eyes when they are not even grouped together on screen.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root