• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lpasher

lpasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

I have switched to RM from Legacy (for the Mac software offering) and one of the things that I really miss is having the ability to view the people that are associated with a place, right within the Places List.  This includes the ability to edit an individual while within the Places List.  

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2977 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

I have switched to RM from Legacy (for the Mac software offering) and one of the things that I really miss is having the ability to view the people that are associated with a place, right within the Places List.  This includes the ability to edit an individual while within the Places List.  

This is missed by many users including myself, and is part of competitor software, it's the same for Place Details if you use them.

I don't know how far away the next version is but in my opinion this should have been addressed years ago, I know it's been on the enhancement list for many years.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.4.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

This is missed by many users including myself

I would go even further and suggest that RM lacks the ability to view and edit all manner of data items that are linked to other data items. Why not be in the Sources list and  be able to edit the citations associated with those sources. Why not be in the citations list (well, there really isn't one in the sense I'm thinking of it) and be able to see and edit those people and events associated with those citations? Why not be in the media list and be able to edit the items to which the media is linked? Etc.

RM does a better job of "seeing" these linked items than in editing the, but even the "seeing" is pretty problematic and limited in many cases. Most of the time the best you can do is make a report and store it in a file an then go back and forth between that report in the file on the one hand and the RM screens on the other hand. I think the trick in any such support is keeping the screens comprehensible, especially to new RM users.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic