11 replies to this topic

#1 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

I am running RM7 on a mac with parallels, although I have the mac version installed as well.  I recently purchased a copy of RM7 for my daughter as a gift.

Given that our computer systems, and therefore our data paths will be different, what is the best (or easiest) way to transfer my data and media to her computer and have everything locatable on her end?

Thanks.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

To: RobertL

From my  Windows system to sibling's Windows systems, I have just e-mailed my most recent backup file to them.  I have so few media files that I do not bother with those photos.

So far, this procedure has worked for them.  I have no experience with the mac version.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

The Windows and Mac versions of RM are identical - same format, same data, etc. - and can be freely exchanged.

If, like me and other RM users, you store your RM images in categorized sub-folders, then you probably don't want to use RM backup including media. That's because the RM backup with media process lumps all of your media into a single folder (and stores no info at all about the former sub-folder structure).

If, like me and other RM users, you have many media files, then the RM backup with media will be much larger than an RM backup WITHOUT media. Of course, the links will be in the backup without media, just not the images.

My media collection has thousands of images and documents, and takes nearly 40 GB on disk. That's too big to exchange via email or any online system that most users have access to, so I do my updates with family via a large-capacity USB drive.

If you and your sharee use different drive & path layouts for your media folders, then you can use the Lists > Media Gallery > Tools > Fix broken media links procedure to make appropriate adjustments after copying your media collection to another computer. Be careful !!! This procedure requires that every file must have a unique name. You must be certain to never name, as example, a census scan and a photo, the same way.

#4 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

I guess my real question is this: is the data path included in the backup? If not, problem solved. If so, how can I get around it?

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

The data path is not saved in the backup.

You will need to go to Tools > Program Options > Folders are reset your data folder locations.

If you change the path of your media folders, you might be able to use the Lists > Media Gallery > Tools Fix broken media links to update all of the media tags.

CAREFUL !!! In order for Fix broken media links to work, EVERY filename must be unique. That is, you cannot have a census scan and a birth certificate named the same way, even if they are in different folders. If your media file naming scheme does not enforce unique filenames, then you should use Search > Search and Replace > Multimedia filenames to update the paths to media tags.

#6 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

I think I got it. Thanks.

#7 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

I have had no trouble nor loss of media by creating a GEDCOM and transferring it instead of a backup.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I have had no trouble nor loss of media by creating a GEDCOM and transferring it instead of a backup.

That's possible, but you might just be lucky.

Media file paths are passed in GEDCOM as absolute file paths starting with the drive letter. That's no different than using  backup file. File paths might or might not have to be adjusted on another computer in either case.

The use of GEDCOM can result in the truncation of long fact description fields, the loss of trailing line feeds in notes, the loss of DNA data, the loss of individual customization of shared facts, the loss of sentence template customization, source templates that are identical but don't merge, and that sort of thing. Many users will not encounter these problems, but if you encounter any of these problems you might fail to notice the lost data.A backup file is definitely the way to go.

Jerry

#9 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

The use of GEDCOM can result in the truncation of long fact description fields, the loss of trailing line feeds in notes, the loss of DNA data, the loss of individual customization of shared facts, the loss of sentence template customization, source templates that are identical but don't merge, and that sort of thing. Many users will not encounter these problems, but if you encounter any of these problems you might fail to notice the lost data.A backup file is definitely the way to go.

Jerry

GedCom incompatibilities have come up before - and are a little worrying! While grateful for Gerry's list above I wonder if there is an 'official   list' ?

It might  be useful if possible incompatibilities might be 'flagged' when you enter data so you could choose to enter data that might be lost or opt for a 'gedcom compatible entry'  - On my New year wish list!

Bob

#10 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

When you mention 'GEDCOM compatible entry" in relation to genealogy software in general the main issue is the wide variety of interpretations of the GEDCOM standard applied by software producers, i.e. problem it is not, strictly speaking, the GEDCOM standard that is the problem, but miss-understanding or miss-application of the standard by programmers. It's a bit like the English language: There is only one English language, but there are many 'locally created' dialects which limits understanding and confuses users. With GEDCOM this often means that either:

- some data may not be exported fully or correctly to a GEDCOM file by some software applications; plus

- some data which is exported to a GEDCOM file by one product may not be correctly imported by another product because it doesn't fully understand the dialect used.

As far as 'an official lists' of GEDCOM incompatibilities go, that's a bit like an "How long is a piece of string?" question, given the volume of current genealogy products available; plus those products/versions that are no longer supported.  One attempt was made here: http://genealogytool...apps-crosswalk/ to inform FTM users when Ancestry announced that they were dropping support for desktop software; and before the FTM software was sold-on to Software MacKiev. 

The cynic in me also says that, while most genealogy products claim 'GEDCOM compatibility':

- their developers are rarely clear about which version of the GEDCOM Standard they mean and tend to adopt a 'mix and match' approach across multiple versions of the standard to suit their own interpretation, despite how long it has been since the Standard was last amended;

- few software developers provide any specific detail on where their software does/doesn't conform with the standard and what data is likely to be 'lost' when exporting data to GEDCOM; 

- most Software Users have a naive belief in developers' claims that their chosen software does everything properly; and that it's always the fault of some other software when data doesn't transfer fully/correctly; and

- there is limited (minimal) business benefit or commercial advantage in software developers enabling their users to easily move their data to other software products with 100% reliability.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

When you mention 'GEDCOM compatible entry" in relation to genealogy software in general the main issue is the wide variety of interpretations of the GEDCOM standard applied by software producers,

The problem of GEDCOM compatibility between vendors pervades the industry. I was speaking of what I think is a more serious problem. Namely, RM can sometimes lose data when transferring GEDCOM to itself. In my view, that should never happen.

Actually, I think there are two pieces to the problem. One pieces is the loss of actual data itself - contents of a note, a DNA fact, and that sort of thing. The other piece is the loss of metadata - formatting of sentences, formatting of sources, and that sort of thing. The first piece is more important than the second piece, but in both cases I think vendors should take the responsibility not to lose data on GEDCOM transfer within their own product. They can't control the other products, but they can control their own product.

Jerry

#12 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:29 AM

- few software developers provide any specific detail on where their software does/doesn't conform with the standard and what data is likely to be 'lost' when exporting data to GEDCOM; 

- there is limited (minimal) business benefit or commercial advantage in software developers enabling their users to easily move their data to other software products with 100% reliability.

It would be nice if on the 1st point RM was an exception, I would consider it a 'plus point' in choosing the software!

On the second point, while I can see what you mean  what if RM goes bust - how safe is my research? an important factor in choosing my main software! Also many of us will use third party products on the fringe, for example I use a third party product to create my websites from  gedcoms, its an important part of how I want to circulate / preserve  my family history so  compatible gedcoms are  an important factor for me and  should be to the RM developers if they want to keep their customer base!

Bob