5 replies to this topic

#1 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi:

I would like to see Roots Magic default to including the birth field in every new individual record.  It is nice to be able to add and delete a variety of events, but it strikes me that having the birth field available without the extra key strokes of adding it independently is pretty much a minimum for every individual record.  The option ought to be to delete it if someone chooses to do so, or not to complete the field.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

The birth fact is on the Add Person screen. You just need to add something for the fact to appear. Estimate the date if you need to. Though if I only have a Christen date I will use that instead, since RM will use it in place of a missing birth date. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hi:

I would like to see Roots Magic default to including the birth field in every new individual record.

2017-12-20_201610.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Maybe not a default because not everyone wants that. It is on the enhancement request list for consideration. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Maybe not a default because not everyone wants that. It is on the enhancement request list for consideration. 

I agree that not everyone would want it and that it would need to be an option if it were supported.

I think the bigger issue is that the Add Person screen doesn't work very well. I'm not sure how I would suggest that it be improved. I would simply note that I tend to put the bare minimum of information into the Add Person screen to get the person into the system, and then I quickly switch to the Edit Person screen so I can do my actual data entry with all the necessary tools at my disposal.

Perhaps the Add Person screen could be made to look more or less like the Edit Person screen so you could add sources and media and everything else you need to add. And perhaps this "Add Person screen that looks more or less like the Edit Person screen" could include skeleton birth, death, and burial facts that wouldn't really be included at save time unless some data were entered into them. I don't really know what is best. If adding people worked the way I'm describing, I might actually hate it. It's a hard problem.

I think I remember Bruce saying that he had tried a lot of different variations on the way the Add Person and Edit Person screen work to try to make them better, but that none of the things he tried actually worked out very well. As I already said, it's a hard problem.

Jerry

#6 jagwinn

jagwinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

I agree that not everyone would want it and that it would need to be an option if it were supported.

I think the bigger issue is that the Add Person screen doesn't work very well. I'm not sure how I would suggest that it be improved. I would simply note that I tend to put the bare minimum of information into the Add Person screen to get the person into the system, and then I quickly switch to the Edit Person screen so I can do my actual data entry with all the necessary tools at my disposal.

Perhaps the Add Person screen could be made to look more or less like the Edit Person screen so you could add sources and media and everything else you need to add. And perhaps this "Add Person screen that looks more or less like the Edit Person screen" could include skeleton birth, death, and burial facts that wouldn't really be included at save time unless some data were entered into them. I don't really know what is best. If adding people worked the way I'm describing, I might actually hate it. It's a hard problem.

I think I remember Bruce saying that he had tried a lot of different variations on the way the Add Person and Edit Person screen work to try to make them better, but that none of the things he tried actually worked out very well. As I already said, it's a hard problem.

Jerry

LIKE BUTTON!