I'm not getting consistent results with my Source Media. I hope someone will be able to tell my where I'm going wrong.
The birth, marriage and death facts for the majority of my family tree persons prior to 1900 are from about 4 villages in Croatia, familysearch.org has microfilmed each of the complete parish books. There is at least 1 book for each of the 3 life facts, the books cover varying number of years (dependent on the parish), so you may have a single book of births covering a 11 year period, others 6 years and so on. (none of which are indexed by the way)
My idea was to attach (tag) an image of the front of each book and an image of the microfilm details (this shows which parish, years, date filmed, etc) as media to my Master Source and then I would just need to attach (tag) an image of the relevant birth, death or marriage of the person as the Detail.
These are the steps I took.
- I copied a Source Template which I thought would best suit my needs and re-named it.
- Made a couple of amendments to the Field area, Footnote, Bibliography to suit my needs.
- Opened the edit screen for a person to add the Birth Source, I selected "Add new source".
- Selected my newly created source, added the relevant details in Master Source area and Source Details area.
- Added new media of the 2 images identifying the book as source only and the birth record of the individual as Detail only. Clicked on Source and Details and 3 images showed. So far so good.
- Clicked ok,
- Named this new Master Source Name so as to easily identify and differentiate based on the parish,fact,years covered.
- Moved on to the next person, this time I selected "Cite existing source" and selected the one I had just created, changed the Master Source name to suit, made relevant amendments to the Master Source and added Source Details information.
- When I clicked on the Media button, it showed the 2 media I had tagged as the source in the original Master Source.
- So I deleted the tags and added the appropriate media, clicked ok. I had to to do this for each of the 4 Master Sources I created.
My Master Sources are - Births (1888-1893), Births (1894-1898), Births (1899) and Marriages (1888-1899) and each time I edit a person and select "Cite an existing source" in Citation Manager, it is remembering the previously added source media.
So, for instance if I add a citation of a birth (1888-1893) and then move to someone else and add a marriage citation Marriages (1888-1899), the media shown is that of the births (1888-1893).
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it would be great if someone could steer me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance.