4 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

I generate a lot of narrative reports for family and people who I am helping in their genealogy. I usually prefer the D'Abouville (indented) format for descendancy reports especially when there are a lot of people in the families and it's hard to keep track of who is whom. There are 3 edits I frequently have to make on the reports so they look the way I want them. If these could be standard or options, then that would save me a lot of trouble.

1 - delete multiple blank lines. Probably, most of them are due to me leaving a carriage return on the end of a note. But the extra lines are not intended nor helpful.

2 - a format option that suppresses details. Sometimes I want the names and BMD details but NOT all the other factoids about census records, occupation, etc etc etc because they just make the whole thing TOO long. I think what that would entail is a checklist of fact types to be included/excluded from this one particular instance of the report, perhaps as a report option. Would want to do this for every narrative type report.

3 - better formatting of the details. Most of the events associated with a person are reported as single sentences in chronological order. If there's a note associated with the event then there are follow-on sentence(s) for that event. I would like each event sentence (and any follow-ons) presented in bullet-ed list form. You would see the basic sentence or 2 about the BMD info for the person and then every event after that would be a new bullet, properly indented under the person, one or more sentences, still in chrono order. I can send you examples if you'd like to see them. Would want to do this for every narrative type report.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

1 - delete multiple blank lines. Probably, most of them are due to me leaving a carriage return on the end of a note. But the extra lines are not intended nor helpful.

Excessive white space and the control thereof is a problem in RM's narrative reports. Even if you exercise extreme care in entering your data into RM, RM itself will generate a lot of extra vertical white space that really shouldn't be there.

I always save RM's narrative reports as an RTF file and post process the file with Microsoft Word to do a little cleanup before printing. The excessive vertical white space can be cleaned up in Microsoft Word fairly easily. You have to use Microsoft Word's equivalent of the old "Reveal Codes" feature in WordPerfect, except that the way Word does "reveal codes" is not a good as the way WordPerfect used to do it. The feature in Word is accessed by clicking on the Paragraph icon. Having done so, you can see the excessive carriage returns fairly easily, except that some of them are "new paragraph" or some other such formatting control rather than a carriage return.

You will probably want to look at your file and make your own decisions about exactly what to delete - e.g., convert all double carriage returns to single carriage returns or whatever. After clicking the Paragraph icon, do a ctl-H to get into the replace dialog. Click More to see all the options and the characters you want to replace are under Special. What I do is to replace ^p^p^p with ^p^p and repeat until there are no changes. This procedure may or may not meet your exact needs.

If your report has indexes, click the Paragraph symbol again to turn off the "reveal codes" thing, highlight your indexes and hit F9 to regenerate the indexes. Otherwise, the page numbers in your indexes will be incorrect because of all the white space you have deleted.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Greater control over the narrative report format is long wished for. While we've waited, some workarounds have been developed by following certain practices or by operating on the database outside of RM.

Some whitespace control: http://sqlitetoolsfo...om/Paragraphing...

Controlling fact inclusions: http://sqlitetoolsfo...lusion Controls

Point-form narratives: http://sqlitetoolsfo...arratives Setup

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

2 - a format option that suppresses details. Sometimes I want the names and BMD details but NOT all the other factoids about census records, occupation, etc etc etc because they just make the whole thing TOO long. I think what that would entail is a checklist of fact types to be included/excluded from this one particular instance of the report, perhaps as a report option. Would want to do this for every narrative type report.

You can do this for yourself in the Fact List. However, the process is labor intensive and error prone. There are a lot of "Fact List Management" issues that are in need of considerable improvement. For example, you can have sentence templates in English and in French but you can't have both in your database at the same time and it's a major pain to switch back and forth.

Which facts to include in which report is equally inflexible. For example, you might be working on a Smith reunion and a Jones reunion at the same time, and you might want lots of facts for the Smith reunion report and few facts for the Jones reunion report. It's a major pain to switch back and forth.

Tom's message provides some links to SQLite scripts which can help, but this kind of flexibility needs to be built into RM.

Jerry

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

3 - better formatting of the details. Most of the events associated with a person are reported as single sentences in chronological order. If there's a note associated with the event then there are follow-on sentence(s) for that event. I would like each event sentence (and any follow-ons) presented in bullet-ed list form. You would see the basic sentence or 2 about the BMD info for the person and then every event after that would be a new bullet, properly indented under the person, one or more sentences, still in chrono order. I can send you examples if you'd like to see them. Would want to do this for every narrative type report.

You can come close to achieving this on your own by using point form sentence templates. You can precede sentences with carriage returns to force them to a new line and you can render the fact type or event type in bold font. It's not quite the same as actual bullets, but it still looks pretty good and has as similar look and feel to bullet-ed sentences. You can do this yourself by going into the Fact List or Tom's message has a link to an SQLite script which will do it for you.

Jerry