Photo

Family Search birth location changes in searh results?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 n2ubp

n2ubp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Heinrich Anton Geisler 967X-PHQ,
his Father is Anton Geisler, L8P1-9SK per Heinrich's death certificate. Not sure if this is accurate but only source I have.

For Heinrich when I use the Roots Magic "Find Matches" feature the expected result is shown between the RM and FS records.
For Anton when I use the Roots Magic Advanced "Find Matches" feature Heinrich's 967X-PHQ record is listed, however the birthplace for Heinrich 967X-PHQ is filled out with more detailed information not supplied in either the RM of FS record. Was wondering where that additional information is coming from, since one of my issues with Heinrich is there are at least 20 different villages in Silesa, Prussia named Hermsdorf and I personally don't know which one it is?

I'd provide a screen shot of both situations but I'm not sure how to do this within the forum.

Steve

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

The FamilySearch Person Tools is displaying the standardized place name. If you view Henrich Anton Geisler on FamilySearch and click to Edit his birth fact you will find that longer place name listed as the standardized place name for the event. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 n2ubp

n2ubp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

The FamilySearch Person Tools is displaying the standardized place name. If you view Henrich Anton Geisler on FamilySearch and click to Edit his birth fact you will find that longer place name listed as the standardized place name for the event. 

So this is a default long place name for Hermsdorf.

It may not be accurate.

According to FamilySearch assistants on Facebook there are 30 different towns/villages named Hermsdorf.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

The FamilySearch Person Tools is displaying the standardized place name. 

I may not be understanding the situation correctly. But I don't use standardized place names in RM, and when I load place names into FamilySearch from RM the place names seem to be displayed in FamilySearch the way I load them rather than as standardized place names.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

FamilySearch has the display place name and the standardized name. Sort of like what RootsMagic has with the Place name and the Standardized place name. On FamilySearch you can edit the fact and select what Standardized place name you want. If you send a fact to FamilySearch and it recognizes it as a standardized place name it will set it. If if doesn't recognize it then it won't be set. Someone would then have to go in and standardized it. In Steve's case someone must have selected it because it doesn't match the display place name. If the standardized place name was blank on FamilySearch then it would display the place name that is there in the FT API. If the standardized place name is there then that is what is displayed in the FT API.

Renee
RootsMagic