• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimrob45

jimrob45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

I have read several requests and none of them match what I want to do.  What I want is the opposite of selecting everyone related to a person.  I want to select (actually delete from my database) everyone not related to a person.  In other words, I want to highlight a person and then pick everyone who is not related in any way to that person.  How do I accomplish this task?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

You can do this with, for example, RM's color coding or RM's named groups. Go into the marking dialog and mark everybody in the database. While still in the marking dialog, unmark everyone in the same tree in the same tree as your chosen person.

Having done so, there is not an option to "delete everybody else". About the best you could do would  be to drag and drop your database to a new and empty database, choosing for your drag and drop those people color coded to keep or in the named group to keep. The new database would then have the desired people.

Jerry

P.S. There are a lot of relative simple problems in RM that cannot be solved at all with marking alone, but that can be solved fairly easily by combining marking with unmarking.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5593 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

Having color coded all those you wish to delete, you could use my SQLite script at http://sqlitetoolsfo...com/Delete Manyto accomplish the bulk deletion. Many have requested such a capability to be incorporated in RM over many years but RM Inc seems steadfast in its position that its users are too stupid to use it safely.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:11 AM

Upon further review, I think my marking/unmarking logic is correct for use with Tom's script, but it is backwards for use with drag and drop. Well, with drag and drop you could drag and drop everybody colored black (not having color). But really for the drag and drop way of doing it, it's easier to clear all colors and color code the ones you want to keep (or put the ones you want to keep into a group).

Jerry

#5 jagwinn

jagwinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Upon further review, I think my marking/unmarking logic is correct for use with Tom's script, but it is backwards for use with drag and drop. Well, with drag and drop you could drag and drop everybody colored black (not having color). But really for the drag and drop way of doing it, it's easier to clear all colors and color code the ones you want to keep (or put the ones you want to keep into a group).

Jerry

This works! Like button. I have a large data base and use this method to create separate databases or family files.