• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Levi

Levi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

How is it possible for two brothers with identical blood lines to be related other than as brothers?  I selected myself and my brother in Relationship Calculator and it came back that we're brothers and eighth cousins, twice removed with distant cousin.  We are both related to that distant person the same, seventh great grandson.

Any insight would be appreciated.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:48 AM

Suppose your parents are first cousins. Then you and your brother are brothers, and you and your brother are second cousins. Indeed, you are your own second cousin. This scenario is conceptually identical to yours, except that with your scenario the common ancestors are many generations further into the past.

My scenario is not so far fetched. My parents are not first cousins, but I am descended from quite a few first cousin marriages and also from several second cousin marriages. For example, my maternal grandfather was the son of second cousins who lived next door to each other as children. In rural and sparsely populated counties as they were 100 years ago to 250 years ago (in my case), there were not very many people available to marry. So it shouldn't be too surprising that cousin marriages weren't that uncommon.

RM's relationship calculator is simply listing all relationships based on all common ancestors that it can identify.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

You can use the Relationship calculator listing the same person compared against them self. You will then see how many cousin relationships they have. 

My grandfather is related to himself 10 times, my grandmother is related to herself 10 times, they are related to each other 2 times. My father is related to himself 22 times. To a sibling 23 times. The closest relationship after sibling is 4th cousin, farthest back is 12th cousin. These families lived in the same area before the Revolutionary War. This is what happens when you do a lot of descendant research, families keep connecting back to each other. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

When I check how I'm related to myself, I get 689 relationships, ranging from to 5th to 45th cousin.  :blink:

#5 woodstockcats

woodstockcats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

It would be very helpful if the relationship calculator allowed you to click on a particular relationship, and then generate a relationship chart, showing that particular relationship.

The relationship chart in the reports menu only shows the closest connection.  Feature request? 

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Levi

Levi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

I figured it out.  A bit complicated to explain via text. Essentially, the program does not exclude ancestors both people have in common. 

#8 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

It would be very helpful if the relationship calculator allowed you to click on a particular relationship, and then generate a relationship chart, showing that particular relationship.

The relationship chart in the reports menu only shows the closest connection.  Feature request? 

I would like it to be able to flag or exclude relationships that cross disputed or disproven connections.