• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JDube

JDube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

When I export a tree (not the whole database) to a gedcom file, how can I ensure that the PERSON Given Name and Surname entries are used (displayed), instead of the ALT NAME Given Name and Surname entries?

For example, when I view my gedcom file in Excel that was captured from RootsMagic:

1 NAME Isaac /Horwitz/ 2 GIVN Isaac 2 SURN Horwitz 1 NAME Stziz, King // 2 GIVN Stziz, King

but when I view the gedcom file uploaded to GEDMatch, it looks like this:

Stziz, King Horwitz, ...

I want it to look like Isaac Horwitz.

NOTE: I have not selected anything in the Name Type drop-down field for the Alt Name entry (Stziz, King).

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

According to the GEDCOM standards, the first NAME tag is the primary name and all subsequent ones for that person are secondary or alternate names. It would appear that GEDmatch is mishandling the NAME tags.

In RM, open Lists > Fact Type List, select Alternate Name and edit its settings to exclude it from export. Caveat: that ma also suppress that fact type from drag'n'drop transfers.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 JDube

JDube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

TomH - Thanks very much, that worked perfectly. I was unaware that I could exclude gedcom only.

JDube