20 replies to this topic

#1 rogtut

rogtut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:50 AM

Version Roots Magic 7.5.4.0 (20 Sep 17)

The Index on the left hand side has suddenly developed a major problem.  It is constantly "jumping", will only find first letters of names and goes back to that name when scrolling down.

Help, please!

I should ahve added that I had to use Task Manager to close the program.  Restarting made no difference.

#2 PhilWWalton

PhilWWalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:51 AM

Version 7.5.4.0 (20 Sept 17) running on Windows 10

I have the same problem

My index is jumping too. It seems to be refreshing every five seconds or so, as I can see a "loading wheel" briefly when it jumps.

I also have the problem with scrolling - when the index "refreshes" it jumps back to the name last highlighted.

And when logging out the "Back-up?" splash window appears, the programme accepts the instructions, but then wont close down or accept any other instructions.

In Task Manager I get the "Not responding" error message and have to "End task" to close the window..

#3 scarvell

scarvell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

Version7.5.4.0 running Windows 10

I am having the same problem.

The Index is jumping and refreshing.

I have to use Task Manager to close the program.

#4 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

Me too using RM 7.5.4.0 on Windows 10. Can stop it by logging out of Ancestry and using Task manager to close RM. Then when restarted and log back into Ancestry it starts again but will not show the Tree from Ancestry and it ends up Freezing and have to use Task Manager to close it. It then works OK on restarting till I try to look at the Ancestry tree. Also Ancestry web hints not available and it keeps asking me to log in the Ancestry to see them and when I check it is already logged in and problem starts again.

Thought it was an issue my end as I had just downloaded info from familySearch site. So I ran all the database tools and no problems found with the database on  my PC.

#5 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

Same here, starting this morning.

Not sure what has triggered it, as there have been no Windows updates or other software changes over the past couple of days.

Have tried restoring databases from some days ago when everything was working, same result. Also tried un-installing and re-installing RM, same result.

Interestingly, if you start a 'clean' file or import a GEDCOM, everything seems OK.

My suspicion is that it is something to do with the Ancestry link, which I have been using quite a bit lately.

#6 michaeltuffs

michaeltuffs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

I have exactly the same issue - Version 7.5.4.0 (20 Sept 17) running on Windows 10. Only started today - was ok yesterday. have uninstalled and reinstalled - no difference. Ancestry Tree Share not working - best guess something to do with this. Whole program just hangs.

#7 michaeltuffs

michaeltuffs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Managed to get out of Ancestry treeshare & Rootsmagic works fine as long as not connected to Ancestry. There lies the issue!

#8 buszidog

buszidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

Same here, just started today. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooted computer, tried an older database, tried installing it in another drive with a different database, searched for answers in the help files, tried all the database tools (says everything is rosy!)...I'm going to try support@rootsmagic.com

and 801-489-3102 (available M-F 8am-5pm Mountain Time)

#9 buszidog

buszidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Where is "Ancestry treeshare"?

#10 buszidog

buszidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

OK, found Ancestry treeshare in "Internet">TreeShare for Ancestry and I was able to "Disconnect", but the program is still flashing

#11 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

OK, having established that the problem is not me, or with my database or PC, guess the best thing is to sit back and wait for it to be sorted. Last thing I want to do is fiddle around and make things worse, or break the existing Ancestry link so I have to upload the whole lot again! Looks like Ancestry is the culprit.

#12 Terry666

Terry666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

I know this duplicates others but am having the same problems in the UK. Will wait to see if problem clears or anyone comes up with a solution before I take any further action.

#13 buszidog

buszidog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Oh Yay!  Thank you for the tip!  I went to that TreeShare for Ancestry, signed OUT of Ancestry, the program froze up again, used task manager to close it, opened it again and now it's fine.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Don't use the Disconnect Ancestry Tree function if you ever hope to TreeShare again between that database and the Ancestry Tree with which it is paired. If you want to stop whatever is causing this problem, try disabling Ancestry WebHints first, and if that doesn't work, sign out from Ancestry.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

RootsMagic's connection with Ancestry is experiencing temporary problems. That is what's causing the index to flicker and not being able to login to TreeShare. If you reopen RM now it should log you out of TreeShare. I'll update this when we learn more. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Rootdigger

Rootdigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Having the same problem. Have tried several options to disable WebHints and to 'Disconnect from Ancestry tree' but RM locks up and I need to use Task manager to close it. Have same problem when I restart. So what exactly do I have to do to get RM up so I can use it?

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

Follow Renee's instructions. Log TreeShare out of Ancestry.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#18 Rootdigger

Rootdigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

Ok. I found a "Sign-out' under Internet -> 'TreeShare for Ancestry' and that seems to have stopped the flick. Thanks

#19 dapowell54

dapowell54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Just wanted to add I am having the same problem.  Logging out of ancestry.com or disconnected databsesworked to fix it but still a problem.

#20 Rootdigger

Rootdigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

In the main Command bar at the top of the RM window, click on Internet, click on 'TreeShare for Ancestry' in the pulldown menu and in the pop-up window in the upper right hand corner there should be a 'Sign-out' button/txt. If you click on that it should disconnect TreeShare from ancestry.com and the problem should go away. It did for me anyways.