• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwalker

cwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have a RootsMagic database (converted from TMG) that I've been using for years.  I wanted a 'copy' of my Ancestry dababase in RootsMagic so I created a new database in RootsMagic and downloaded it from Ancestry.  I just finished watching the webinar on RootsMagic and Ancestry and wondered if I should just go ahead and download from Ancestry into the database I've been using for years.  What are the recommendations on doing that?  Thanks!!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

I would give Compare Files a chance before doing a drag n drop into a current database and begin merging. The video below demonstrates how this feature works in RM.

What's New in RootsMagic 7  

00:29:05 – Compare Files

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

I would also make a copy of the original database first. That way if things don't go the way you had hoped you can always revert back to the original.

Kari

#4 cwalker

cwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Thank you very much for your replies.  I hadn't thought of either of those suggestions.  Merry Christmas!

#5 cwalker

cwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

I finally have time to get back to this.  If I have my Ancestry database open in RootsMagic and click on a yellow light bulb I can see the hints.  If I'm in my regular RootsMagic database that I moved from TMG I get a screen that wants me to upload or download from Ancestry.  If I combine these databases am I going to be able to use TreeShare?  I'm confused.  I've watched the what's new on 7.0 webinar and think that compare feature is great but with such a large database that will take me forever to do.  I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point.  Help!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

If you merge the two databases together the tree that is connected to Ancestry will remain connected. The database can only be connected to one Ancestry tree, so whichever connection is first in the database will remain, unless you disconnect it.

Renee
RootsMagic