3 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

I don't want to put young children (living) up on my tree on Ancestry but I would like to have them in my RM tree.

Would it be possible to have an 'ignore' button when prompted to add people to Ancestry via TreeShare that would remove them from the list of 'changes'?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Wouldn't ancestry's privacy controls take care of your situation? The young (living) children would be on your tree in ancestry, but even if your tree were public the living people would not be displayed.

Having said that, I think it would be very beneficial for TreeShare users if it were possible to limit the people who were shared via TreeShare to a Named Group in RM.

Jerry

#3 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I might be missing something but is that not what TreeShare does now.

If a person is in RM but not in Ancestry then there is an add button. If you do not wish to add that person to Ancestry then just ignore that and do not add them.

Then if their (deceased) parents are in RM but not in Ancestry then TreeShare will have a checkbox to add a new child to that person. Obviously do not check that.

I will grant you that the option to add that child to Ancestry will continue to appear but you could filter them by using groups and only doing a TreeShare on the group which does not have the child.

As an aside (and going in the other direction) if I see someone in Ancestry who has a child (which it knows about because that link is also in Ancestry) but who I have not previously added that child in RM then I first go to that child and add them as a new person to RM before continuing to add their parent. I find that is a better way to create that relationship in RM.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

In TreeShare you can filter to groups and see color-coding. If you color-code everyone living in your database you would see immediately that you don't want to add them using TreeShare to Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic