• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jschwartz

jschwartz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

I am seeing parents duplicated twice under the child's edit screen-they are not actually duplicate themselves. I think I may have accidentally caused this when updating through Treeshare.  How can I clean this up?

#2 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:47 AM

I see the same thing and agree it's related to TreeShare somehow.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

What direction are you seeing this? Adding to RM from TreeShare or adding to Ancestry? I need more of a description and the steps to reproduce this. What does it look like in RM or Ancestry for the person? Wish it was easier to add screen shots here. The Facebook group or a support ticket work better for that.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 jschwartz

jschwartz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Here's a screenshot I took..hopefully this link will work...

https://imgur.com/a/5Qice

And as to direction...it's coming from Ancestry.  I never upload to them.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Its pretty easy to add screen caps & photos here.

Save your image file to a free image server (I use http://postimages.org/)

Make a note of, of copy the Direct Link provided after you upload your image.

Paste that Direct Link into the Image widget (11th from the left above).

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

On that screen shot I can see in the info area in the upper left corner under Parents: 2. So that means this person has two sets of parents. With the record numbers being displayed its hard to tell if the parents on the Edit Person screen are the same records or not. You can go to Tools>File Options>General and under "Number to display after name" select "Record Number (RIN)". That will help determine what you have added.

If the record numbers are the same then the child is linked to the parents twice. This could be two family groups for the same parents or two links to in the same family to the child. You would need to tell us what you find in order for us to walk you through fixing it.

As for how it happened, it all depends on how you added the child and their parents and what you have in the database. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 jschwartz

jschwartz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

I did as you suggested and turned on RIN display.  The father has the same number, but the mother's is different.  I'm guess I'm not quite understanding the process of "linking" people using Treeshare.  For example, inside Treeshare I may be presented with an option to update a persons sources or other fact changes.  I update them and the person shows up again on tree share twice..once for updating to Ancestry and one to update from Ancestry.  When this happens, I've used the link feature. I don't think I've completed too many links so hopefully it won't be a massive clean up.  Can you provide a link or point me to where I can get a better understanding of the various options, including linking, inside Treeshare?  How do I correct this mess I've made? :unsure:

#8 jschwartz

jschwartz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

I was trying to find a link example from my Treeshare screen but couldn't find one.  Basically what happens is it gives me the option to link an individual either from Ancestry to RM or from RM to Ancestry, so that the person is listed twice with the link option to each platform.  I understand how to perform updates, but I just don't understand what it means to link a person from one platform to the other. 

#9 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:46 AM

'Linking' is confirming that the two records relate to the the same person, so when you 'link' a person in RootsMagic to a person in your 'Ancestry Tree' (or vice versa) they have the same identity, just like merging two individuals in your RootsMagic database.  Once linked, you then have the options of matching/exchanging their events/facts and sources.

If you don't link them, or unlink them, they are presumed to be different people, so you then have the options to copy them from one database to the other.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

You would only want to link or add a spouse when needed off of another person's profile in TreeShare. You wouldn't be updating anything for that spouse if they are already in your database. If you need to update the spouse then you go to their profile in TreeShare.

In WebHints you will do no linking. It will add the spouse so only add them if you need to. WebHint are connecting nothing to the spouse. You have to go to the spouse's profile to add information to them. 

At the bottom of TreeShare and WebHints there is a link to our Ancestry page with a video and magic guide that demonstrate how this feature works. 

The webinar below will help you determine what kind of linking issue you have in your database and how to resolve it.

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 jschwartz

jschwartz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thank you both for those tips. I think I'm just going to lay off the link option for now and I just watched the video that was so informative.  I was able to remove an unknown spouse that was causing a duplication of the same RIN person and the original issue with one parent having the same RIN and the spouse with a different RIN...just required a merge of the separate RINs which cleared it up altogether. I'll have to bookmark the video page!  Thanks again!