• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

I bought my version of Rootsmagic via the UK supplier which means it is registered as a UK edition.

Unfortunately it now means I do not get the latest news links when starting the software. Is it possible to switch to the US version or get the software to link to the US news feed. I contacted the UK supplier but they said it needs to be done by the developers not them as they do not write any of the coding.

I checked the files in the software folder but none seem to set the UK version. I searched the Registry (Windows 10) but could find no mention there either of how the version is set.

Ideally there could be an option in the program options to set the news feed site.

#2 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

There is an option under

Tools >Programme options  to 'display news screen'   this may be what you are looking for?

#3 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately that only sets the option to view news on start up which I have always set to allow.

This issue came about because the UK supplier no longer runs a user forum and have stopped updating their web news feed. This had stopped the start up screen from displaying latest up dates but they have corrected that on their website but news feed links are not set by them.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Is it possible to switch to the US version or get the software to link to the US news feed.

The latest installer is here: http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/

Presumably, installing this version would do what you are asking for.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:08 AM

Sorry but I have already tried installing over the UK version with the latest updates and it still shows as UK version. I suspect it is either located in one of the ancillary files in the folder or in the registry somewhere.

#6 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

Have you tried fully uninstalling the UK version and then downloading and installing the US version?

Don't know if your UK registration key will work with the US version, but I'm sure someone on the forum can advise you about this

#7 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

Don't really want to uninstall as I was hoping there was an quick and easy way to solve via the registry or in a file in the folder.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Uninstalling and installing the latest version directly from RM is quicker and easier than any other method, for which there is no assurance that any is a solution to your problem.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

The newsfeed is likely part of the RootsMagic.exe file and the only other element that comes into play is this tag set:

<NewsScreen>false</NewsScreen>

in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\Version 7\RootsMagicUser.xml

The news can be checked (see Blog Headlines) here: http://www.rootsmagic.com/News/?

Only other choice is probably to download and install the free RootsMagic Essentials package and run that separately when you want to check for news (not really often of a thing, actually)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

Also the Uninstall/Reinstall process doesn't take very long - it's really no big deal.

#11 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:47 AM

Sorry just tried uninstalling and re-install from US site still comes up as UK Version.

Suspect it is in the registry somewhere but not sure where as some of the lines are in Binary or Hex format.

Don't really need to install Essentials version as this is not a major problem, it was just an issue that cropped up when the UK supplier stopped updating their own site.