• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twgerber

twgerber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

I just updated and want to sync my tree to Ancestry.  I already have a tree there.

It seems I only have two options

1) start a new tree in RM from ancestry - thus losing my updates in RM

2) start a new tree in ancestry from RM - thus losing a few updates I have done in ancestry via ancestry hints and such.

No merge option.

Am I missing something?   The first two options are not at all appealing.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

There is no mechanism in RM to connect a RM database to an Ancestry Tree when both have been created independently outside of TreeShare.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

I don't believe you're going to like this answer, but what I did was I created a fresh database in RM and loaded it with TreeShare. I then merged my other RM database (created from a GEDCOM from MyHeritage) into that Treeshare enable database, merged as many as possible doing RM duplicate/merge, then started the process of syncing those changes back to Ancestry using TreeShare.

I started in July, as of now I'm almost through the H's.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

To connect a RM database to a tree on Ancestry you can merge the downloaded Ancestry tree into the current RM database. Make sure to clean up the Place list before you begin the merge to limit duplicate facts. It's a time consuming process but its the only way to get these two separate trees together.

Anytime you drag a drop someone from a database that is connected to a tree on Ancestry the connection to the tree will be retained, if there was no other tree connection prior.  So you could in theory take one person from the downloaded Ancestry tree to your current RM database. Then open TreeShare and it will be connected to that tree. You would have to manually link each person in the RM database to someone in the Ancestry Tree. This will work if where there are not to many unconnected people. I can get TreeShare to work with 1,500 in the database. I can't do this with my 15,000 database. I do not know the point it becomes an issue, but it's something you can consider.  

You can always use Compare Files to make one the master database.  We have a video that demonstrates that feature.

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
00:29:05 – Compare Files

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

That's nice, but it doesn't address the core issue with the core process of TreeShare is an order of magnitude too labor intensive.