3 replies to this topic

#1 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Is there a query or a way to determine what events do not have media attached?  Especially Census/Residence events. I do us SQLite Expert.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8688 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

There is a way to find facts without sources, but not media. Maybe others know how to do it outside the program with SQLite.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Is there a query or a way to determine what events do not have media attached?  Especially Census/Residence events. I do us SQLite Expert.

Your report obviously can be produced with SQLite. Since you are already an SQLite user, my suggestion is to post your question to Tom's SQLite for RM Wiki at http://sqlitetoolsfo...wikispaces.com/

Tom may already have a query to solve your problem posted. If not, I have a query which I run regularly which I think would solve your problem. I have not posted it to the Wiki, but I did already post a similar  but simpler query to the Wiki. The only reason I haven't yet posted the query that I run regularly to the Wiki is it is pretty specific to my research. But I'll monitor the Wiki and post my my more advanced query to the Wiki if you are interested.

My query is based on the premise that if you don't have a source, you don't have a fact or a person. And if you don't have a media file, you don't have a source. So for every fact and person in RM, I insist on at least one source. And for every source, I insist on at least one media file. My query lists facts without sources and sources without media, all in one query. I have it set up so that I can easily limit the report to people with a particular color coding or people in a particular RM group or to any other similar filtering criteria.

That all sounds pretty good, but the caution is that there are three different places to which "sourcing media" can be attached meaningfully in RM. The way I do it might or might not meet anybody else's needs. Namely, media can be attached to facts or to persons. Media can be attached to Master Sources for which citations can be attached to facts or persons. And media can be attached to citations which can be attached to facts or persons. My query is based on the premise that my media is attached to Master Sources for which citations can be attached to facts or persons. This is where my query might not meet your needs without a little adjustment.

It's important to think about how the three different places to which "sourcing media" can be attached look in the RM user interface. If you attach "sourcing media" to facts and persons, the "sourcing media" has good visibility in the user interface. But it's not really the most logical place to attach such media. After all, "if you don't have a media file, you don't have a source" so it's logical to attach "sourcing media" on the source/citation side of the house. However, doing it in the logical way makes the "sourcing media" practically invisible in the RM user interface, requiring a great deal of drilling down through modal sub-windows to see your "sourcing media". Nevertheless, I have chosen to do things in the logical way rather than in the more user friendly way. Then on the source/citation side of the house, whether you attach media to Master Sources or to citations depends primarily on whether you are a source lumper or a source splitter. I'm a source splitter, so I attach "sourcing media" to Master Sources. My query is set up that way, so my query might need some adjustment if you are more of a source lumper.

Having said all that, I have taken a decision to attach all "sourcing media" files both to a Master Source and to all citations of the Master Source. It would have taken years to do so manually, so I wrote an SQLite query to copy all my links between "sourcing media" files and Master Sources also to be links between the same "sourcing media" files and all citations for the respective Master Source. It took me a few minutes to develop the query and a second or two for it to run. The decision to attach all "sourcing media" files both to Master Sources and to citations of those Master Sources was based on how my data looks when I export it to GedSite.

Similarly, I have taken a decision to attach some "sourcing media" files to facts (but not to persons - I only attach photographs to persons). Again, the reason is how my data looks when I export it to GedSite. I have not written a query for this function and I'm doing it manually. That's because I don't want all "sourcing media" attached all their respective facts. Rather, I want to be very selective and to curate how things look in GedSite. And the only way to achieve such selectivity is to do the attachments manually.

I would emphasize that my decision to attach all "sourcing media" to both Master Sources and to citations and my decision to attach some "sourcing media" to facts was only because I'm a GedSite user and the way I attach media in RM influences the way the media looks in GedSite. If you are not a GedSite user, this would not be a consideration. I spend a great deal of time "working on GedSite", but about 99% of the time I spend "working on GedSite" is actually spent in the RM user interface.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

I have responded to the question on the page you created at http://sqlitetoolsfo....wikispaces.com. I've just read Jerry's post and would point out that the script I produced does not answer the additional questions whether supporting citations for the Census and Residence events have any media attached at the Master Source or Citation level.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.