5 replies to this topic

#1 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

I have not yet linked my RM family tree to Ancestry.com. One of the reasons I hesitate is that, while most of the media I have in my file can be shared (and in fact, much of it came from Ancestry.com), I have many media items that needs to remain private. From past experience I know that any media put on Ancestry.com is automatically shared unless otherwise marked as private. I also understand, if a media item inadvertently gets uploaded to Ancestry.com and it isn't marked as private at the time, it can take a couple of days for the privacy settings to kick in after the setting is changed and, given the number of users they have, it may be too late... others may have it and be sharing it.

My question is, when I share my file on Ancestry.com, will the media automatically be uploaded as well? If so, is there any way to mark individual media files on the RM side as private? (I could not find it if there is.)

Kari

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

The option is to upload all your media or not upload all your media. It's all or nothing. RM does not have any privacy options for media.

Jerry

#3 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

The option is to upload all your media or not upload all your media. It's all or nothing. RM does not have any privacy options for media.

Jerry

That is what I was afraid of. I'm going to have to think this one over. I have so much media I do want to share, but a lot I simply cannot.

Thanks for your help, again, Jerry.

Kari

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:25 AM

There is also the question of copyright, lots of documents we take for granted in our research such as BMD certificates often have copyright restrictions and the restrictions  vary from country to country, having found a document online is no guarantee you can publish a copy.

Although I don't use treeshare I do publish online and a few years ago I had a major re-organisation ulinking files I didn't want to go online and replacing the link with a 'note' in the source that points to the copy of the original document I have on disc. It was a lot of work and a better solution is needed! Being able to mark an image as private would seem an obvious way forward? 

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Confirming it is on the enhancement request list for a privacy option for media. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

That's awesome news! Thanks, Renee!

Kari