4 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

I have a lot of people in my database who were known as being "of" a location.

For instance a name might be Sir John Murray, 1st Earl of Tullibardine

How would you suggest recording this name?

I'm currently using

Given Name:  John

Surname:  Murray

Prefix:  Sir

Suffix: 1st Earl of Tullibardine

Would you agree with that of have a different suggestion?

Also, would you suggest using an alternate name fact for this person?

#2 lacorrigan

lacorrigan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Good question! I'll be interested in the answer because I have many of the same kind of name.

#3 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

I would think this would be a personal preference, however, keep in mind that if you move this information to an alternate name fact the only reports it will show up on is those reports where all facts are listed out (at least to the best of my knowledge). The "Descendant List" would not print Alt Name fact.

I know this isn't exactly the same issue you are having, but I came across an issue with how to record a person's name, and personally, I struggled with how to handle it for a couple weeks. Throughout the years my grandmother flipped her first and middle name, then added a second middle name. I chose to enter it the way she had entered it in the Family Bible, be it mixed up and added to. Even though her birth certificate says one thing, she put it in the Bible this way and this is how (I believe) she wanted to be remembered by future generations. I would think your ancestor would also want to be remembered that way, especially when dealing with nobility titles.

Kari

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

Also the suffix field is good for comments such as "NEEDS WORK".  This non-standard usage really shows up on the screen or in reports to express doubts about the data for this person.

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Also the suffix field is good for comments such as "NEEDS WORK".  This non-standard usage really shows up on the screen or in reports to express doubts about the data for this person.

I will do this as well, but use an *.

Kari