3 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Somehow I created a second "Alt Name" fact type which exactly matches the canned fact type that comes with the program.

I've used both of them in my database without knowing it.

Is there a way to combine "my" Alt Name" fact type into the other one?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

There is not a way within RM. Outside of RM, it can be done with an SQLite script.

Normally, changing one fact type to another would be an extremely simply script within SQLite, assuming you were up to installing SQLite and running a script. For the Alternate Name fact, the script would be slightly trickier than usual. It would not be rocket science, but it would be slightly tricky. That's because all normal fact types except for one are stored in RM's Event Table. The exception is RM's Alternate Name fact which is stored in RM's Name Table. So for your particular problem, each of your Alternate Name facts in the Event Table would have to be converted to entries in the Name Table, and then all your Alternate Name facts would have to be removed from the Event Table.

Jerry

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

If I had this particular situation in my database, I would probably solve it manually unless there were a pretty large number of Alternate Facts that needed to be fixed. I would only go the SQLite route if the number of items to be fixed were quite large. My manual solution would look something like the following.

• Rename my own Alternate Name fact so that it wouldn't easily be confused with the one that' built-in. So I would to into Lists->Fact Type List and edit my Alternate Name Fact. I would change the name to something like X_Alternate Name.
  • I would do a CTL-F to get into RM's Find dialog (or click the looking glass icon followed by the Find tab). From here, I would set up a search for X_Alternate Name->Exists->Is true.
  • For each person I found, I would add the Alternate name using RM's built-in Alternate Name fact.
  • After all the correct Alternate Names had been added, I would go into Lists->Fact Type a second time and delete the X_Alternate Name fact. This will also have the effect of deleting this fact from all the individuals who have it. You could delete the X_Alternate Name fact from each individual as you go, but it's easier to do it all at once at the end.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Another option is the add the custom Alternate Name fact as a column in the People View. Then click in the header row to sort on it. Double click on the person to open their Edit Person screen and add the built in Alternate Name fact. 

Renee
RootsMagic