• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aggie69

Aggie69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

I have an Ancestry tree that was uploaded from FTM2017.  It contains numerous fact notes.  According to FTM - "In Family Tree Maker you can create a variety of notes: person, research, fact, relationship, media, and source citation. All notes are uploaded, but only person notes can be viewed or edited in online trees.".  When I download that tree via TreeShare to a new RM database, no notes are transferred.

HELP!!!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

If you can download from AMT to a new FTM database and the notes reappear, then there is something RM might be able to do about it. Otherwise, the barrier is Ancestry.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Robin Richmond

Robin Richmond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

You can fix this problem yourself. When I first downloaded my Ancestry tree, the notes were present for some event types, but not for others. But I was able to fix it by checking the "Use description field" for specific Fact Types.

Go to the Lists drop-down, and select Fact Types
Then select Birth, and Edit

On the left side of the Edit Fact Type window, you'll see a checkbox for Use Description Field.

I don't remember exactly which fields I had to fix - certainly Birth, Death, and Burial. I'm pretty sure I had to fix Marriage and Divorce - maybe Residence.  If you use LDS Ordinance events, you'll probably have to fix those, too.

- Robin

#4 Aggie69

Aggie69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Yes, the Description field often times needs to be turned on for a specific fact to show hidden data.  But this information is completely separate from Fact Notes.

#5 Aggie69

Aggie69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

RESOLVED - The Companion Guide for FTM2017 indicates that Fact notes are uploaded to Ancestry.  However, the associated HELP file in FTM says ONLY PERSON NOTES are uploaded.  I uploaded an FTM2017 file with Fact Notes to Ancestry and then downloaded the Ancestry file to a new FTM2017 tree.  The Fact Notes DID NOT TRANSFER.  FTM doesn't have their act together yet because the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing???

Back to a LOT of Manual Reentry to get the data into RM!!

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

RESOLVED - The Companion Guide for FTM2017 indicates that Fact notes are uploaded to Ancestry.  However, the associated HELP file in FTM says ONLY PERSON NOTES are uploaded.  I uploaded an FTM2017 file with Fact Notes to Ancestry and then downloaded the Ancestry file to a new FTM2017 tree.  The Fact Notes DID NOT TRANSFER.  

This is a most interesting comment. If ancestry and Kiev were to get this fixed for FTM, I wonder if the same fix would "just work" for RM's TreeShare?

Jerry

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

Ancestry doesn't have fact notes, but RootsMagic does uploaded fact notes. They are stored as a Citation under "Other information". That way we can download them again as notes. 

Renee
RootsMagic