• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tcluster

Tcluster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

Is there a way I can send a backup of my PC-resident Roots Magic 7 database to someone who uses a Mac and who does not have Roots Magic installed?  For some reason I recall reading something about how it's possible to create a "read only" version of Roots Magic that would enable someone else to navigate my database on their PC.  I guess the question is a two part question:  does this "read only" version of Roots Magic 7 exist?, and can it navigate the PC/Mac divide?

#2 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Someone more expert than I am may correct me on this, but I think that if your friend installs the free RM Essentials (the for Mac version, obviously!) on his/her Mac, then there should be no problem reading your RM file, even though it was generated on a PC. I think it will be a fully operational file, though, not just read-only.

Also, I'm not sure whether you should send an .rmgc (active) or an .rmgb (backup) file. Again, a more expert user should be able to advise.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Ftipple is correct. The rmgc file does not include media files but there is an option to include them in the rmgb backup file.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

The Read-Only version of RootsMagic is a Shareable CD, but that doesn't work on a Mac. That is why others are suggesting they install RM Essentials. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Tcluster

Tcluster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thank all of you for your helpful comments.  I've made it work - Essentials on my friend's Imac, and the OS app on my Ipad!  I appreciate your help!

#6 ddearie

ddearie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

i am sending out a RootsMagic Shareable CD to my rather large family.  About 1/3 of them use Macs.  I understand from above that the Mac users could download and install RootsMagic Essentials.  My question is: how do I share my media (Pictures folder) and the my database file with them.  And then how do they install these such that links/context would be maintained between the database and the media files?

Thanks, appreciate any help! 

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:46 AM

If they all have CD/DVD drives, they could copy the database file and media folder from the Shareable CD to their Mac drive but they will have to run the Fix Broken Media Links tool and not all Macs and PCs have the CD drive. Better to do a backup with media to the single .rmgb backup file and send that to them via a file sharing service such as iCloud or Dropbox. Then they have to download the backup file and use RM Essentials to File:Restore from it to create the discrete database and media files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

If its just about 'sharing the info' rather than giving them a copy of the database to play with  then html is an option, on CD or via a cloud share (perhaps as an ISO) should be usable on most operating systems.

#9 ddearie

ddearie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

Thanks so much for your responses.  I’m very much inclined do a backup with my media into the single .rmgb backup file, and then put that up in the cloud on my Google Drive.  I can then provide them a link to that file which they can download.  Then using RM Essentials they can do the File:Restore from that .rmgb file and create their own discrete database and media folder/files. I’ve just watched the video on installing the Mac versions (Full License and Essentials) and it seems very easy to do.  These steps seem like a very straightforward solution for my family members using Macs (looks like 7 of the 32 members).  The rest will get the Shareable RM (with media files properly linked) on thumb drives via snail mail.  And frankly, any of the Windows users that want to get the Full License or the Essentials (assume the latter has additional capabilities beyond the Shareable RM), they can do the same steps (except using the Windows download/install).  Again, thanks very much for your responses and help!