• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 larrewl

larrewl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

About six months ago, I stopped using Family Tree Maker 2014 as my database program yet continued to update my family tree at Ancestry.com (World Subscription). I bought RM7 earlier this year with the plan to use it as my primary database program.  I recently bought a complete annual MyHeritage subscription and started my complete family tree by importing a GEDCOM. Its family tree consistency checker has identified 328 consistency issues (e.g., child older than parent, died too old).  Ancestry.com has about 500 of my 2000 media (photos, docs, etc)
What would you suggest as a smart (minimum total time) process for synchronizing family history data on Ancestry, RM7 and MyHeritage?  I'd like to have a complete RM7 database with all media and all the non-media family history data at Ancestry and MyHeritage by the end of 2018.  I also have an incomplete family tree at FamilySearch that I'd like to update next year.  (Just so others have more complete accurate data from FamilySearch).  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I also welcome note sync and custom fact/field naming convention suggestions. :)

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

You can use TreeShare for Ancestry to keep your Ancestry tree current. You can use that same database to make changes on FamilySearch Family Tree. MyHeritage does not have an API that allows you to make changes to their website through RootsMagic. So MyHeritage will be the harder one to maintain. I would start with Ancestry, FamilySearch and then upload new GEDCOMs to MyHeritage to keep that current.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 larrewl

larrewl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

You can use TreeShare for Ancestry to keep your Ancestry tree current. You can use that same database to make changes on FamilySearch Family Tree. MyHeritage does not have an API that allows you to make changes to their website through RootsMagic. So MyHeritage will be the harder one to maintain. I would start with Ancestry, FamilySearch and then upload new GEDCOMs to MyHeritage to keep that current.

I know about using TreeShare for Ancestry.  What is the fastest way to make changes to my FamilySearch family tree using RM7?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

We have a series of FamilySearch videos and all are helpful to understand how this feature works in RootsMagic.  The one where you update data is  here -

Share Data with RootsMagic and FamilySearch Family Tree

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

While I liked the MyHeritage data, and I like their consistency checker. That said, I'm in the process of getting off of MyHeritage because their support is abysmal. 

What I did was create a new RM database, pulled all the data from Ancestry into it via TreeShare, then I pulled all my data from MyHeritage via GEDCOM and merged it into RM. I probably have a couple more months of clicking before I can get all the data synced with Ancestry.

So first off in your situation I would simply create a fresh database in RM, pull all your Ancestry data into it, and do your remaining updates in RM and use TreeShare to sync them to Ancestry. I'd use your MyHeritage subscription only for searching and validation and manually pull data into RM. Sync and Merge is MyHeritage is the worst.

So get all your data into RM, use the MyHeritage consistency checker to point out errors and fix them IN RM. Delete your tree on MyHeritage and refresh it with a fresh GEDCOM from RM.