4 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

I have some Named Groups built. I want to generate the Places (with events) list, but limit it to JUST the people that are in a particular group. The idea is to see the "geography" where that group lived. I can't see a straightforward way to do that ... is there some trick?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

The Place List won't filter to a group. You'd have to drag n drop everyone in your group to a new database and use the Place list there.  You can color-code your group to use that as a filter for selecting people to drag n drop.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Still seems hard to drag and drop a named group - takes a lot of hunting and dragging bit by bit.

Could a custom report produce a Place list (with events) but use the named group for filtering?

Is there any other report than the place list that shows people and places together?

I'm not adverse to exporting data into Excel for manipulation / analysis.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Custom report wouldn't work because you'd have to list every fact to get them all to print. 

You could print an Individual List and filter that to a group.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

The Individual List works for selecting just the named group, and then the Place Index at the end of it gives me the list of places I wanted. Now I just need to use it to stick pins on a map!