• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

In the "Media Properties" dialog for images, the ability to add a second image that is the "back" of said image. This would provide a way for us to keep the front and back of photos grouped together logically.

I envision a tabbed view when the given media type is "image" and the "Back" tab having it's own "Description" field. In addition, those images would be styled uniquely in the media album to indicate that they have a "back" file associated.

I understand that you could add each "back" image independently and "Rearrange media items" in the given media album to your liking. However, this doesn't keep them in context.

Thanks again!

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:18 AM

Whilst this is very important I'm not sure I can see it being considered, but then what do I know.

Information entered as caption enter in Rootsmagic only exists within the database and not your image files. Considering that and wishing to retain this important information I began entering it into file properties. The information and any notes you make then stay with the file and are also searchable.

I would like to see Rootsmagic display these file properties in Media Gallery in the future but it may be an approach you find valuable in the future.

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

When I have scans of photos with annotations on the back, I scan both sides, and name them accordingly.

Example:

20170905_OH_imagename_front.jpg

20170905_OH_imagename_back.jpg

In an alphabetized list this puts the back before the front, but that has been pretty easy to become accustomed to.

#4 mloffland

mloffland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

I have been employing a naming convention for scanned photos for years. That's not the issue.

The intent of my request is not specific to organization or about how/where meta data is stored. The intent is about logically grouping two independent media items together to provide context and meaning. That is the point of software (and genealogy for that matter).

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

When I have scans of photos with annotations on the back, I scan both sides, and name them accordingly.
Example:
   20170905_OH_imagename_front.jpg
   20170905_OH_imagename_back.jpg

In an alphabetized list this puts the back before the front, but that has been pretty easy to become accustomed to.

I used "obverse" instead of "back" when I put an 1860s+ family album online a long time ago. I used dBASE or Access to organise them and generate the HTML pages.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

I have been employing a naming convention for scanned photos for years. That's not the issue.

The intent of my request is not specific to organization or about how/where meta data is stored. The intent is about logically grouping two independent media items together to provide context and meaning. That is the point of software (and genealogy for that matter).

Just two? Why not three or more? At what point does a "group" become an album? In one sense, an event album is a group; you could get something like what you want now with a custom Photo fact to which you tag the front and obverse images for one photo.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 mloffland

mloffland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

A photo has a front and a back. I am proposing that the whole of the entity be treated as such.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

Of course the surest, most portable way to have front and obverse as a single entity is to combine them in one image file. No special programming required.