28 replies to this topic

#21 MikeJP51

MikeJP51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

Hello Vyger.

This idea of yours works well - thank you.

It is so obvious really; the best ideas are often the simplest.  :)

#22 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Hello Vyger.

This idea of yours works well - thank you.

It is so obvious really; the best ideas are often the simplest.  :)

Glad you got sorted.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

The Dropbox API has a smaller file size upload than the desktop version. So if you have a backup with media it could have gone over the limitation of their API.

Renee
RootsMagic

#24 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

My Saving to Dropbox is failing with "Upgrade your browser to use Dropbox" message". My Edge browser is the latest as is my version of RootsMagic app in my Win 10 PC. This worked a month ago... I've logged out & back - the error persists. I have the green check in my desktop RM icon. Suggestions?

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:44 PM

The Dropbox API has been unstable for the last week. Right now its best to save to your local Dropbox folder. Instead of using File>Save to Dropbox for Apps use File>Copy instead. Save it to the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder on you computer. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#26 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

My Saving to Dropbox is failing with "Upgrade your browser to use Dropbox" message". My Edge browser is the latest as is my version of RootsMagic app in my Win 10 PC. This worked a month ago... I've logged out & back - the error persists. I have the green check in my desktop RM icon. Suggestions?

So install the Dropbox app and let Dropbox manage the syncing, it's been described as the best method many times including earlier in this thread.

I have ZERO problems with Dropbox syncing, using Edge on my Laptop at the moment and Win 10, but I have local Dropbox folders on each device and Dropbox manages these without me needing to do anything.

Go to Dropbox, Download the app and start using the Local folders you will now have including some other benefits like Print Screen saving your screenshot directly to Dropbox for further reference.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#27 Diggery

Diggery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:09 AM

Hi, I have the same problem as 1Shelback and as per the advice I have saved to the local Dropbox RootMagic App folder but the RM app on Iphone does not seem to update. I am not too worried about that as the RM Iphone app is just a memory jogger.    In regard to the comments regarding the past problems with the Dropbox API, I contacted them and they gave me this reply:-

-------

Thanks for the screenshots! From the first screenshot, I can see that the third party app you're using is actually presenting the app authorization flow inside a "web view", and not your actual system browser. Processing the app authorization flow in a web view like this is not officially supported, and can lead to compatibility issues like this. (Web views don't necessarily use the same browser engine as your default system browser.)

This is something that the developer of the third party app will need to update the app to correct, so you may wish to contact them to request that they do so. For their reference, the relevant documentation can be found here.

-------

I know there is a lot of hard work going on to launch RM8 but I thought I would pass this on in case it might help now or for future development.

Best regards.

G.S.

#28 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

Hi, I have the same problem as 1Shelback and as per the advice I have saved to the local Dropbox RootMagic App folder but the RM app on Iphone does not seem to update. .

It is not sufficient just to copy your RM database to your local Dropbox folder for the mobile app to pick it up. You also have to copy your RM database to a particular place in your local Dropbox folder, namely the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder.

Jerry

#29 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Renee - I'm late getting back to you, but your reply almost a month ago worked perfectly for me today. I'm most appreciative.

/Peter