• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

I've recently purchased RootsMagic and have been working on it on my PC running Windows 7. I am now trying to save to Dropbox to access on my iPad, but the popup window does not seem to be functional. No matter what I do or do not enter in for my Dropbox username and password, I get no response. And the input boxes look as if there's something in the background.

I tried disabling my firewall, but no change. Am I missing some set up step?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Have you updated RootsMagic to the latest version? As of July-ish, Dropbox required a changed API to be used for saving directly to their servers.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

I just downloaded it less than 2 weeks ago, so I hope it's the most current version!  Version7.5.4.0  20 Sep 2017

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

You're up-to-date and I see I get a "Could not bind socket" error. "Address and port are already in...". I exited Dropbox and rebooted RM - no change.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

I'm not getting that message. Where is RootsMagic installed? Is it outside of the C drive of the computer?

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yes, RootsMagic is installed on the C drive. I accepted the default.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

And I have only a C: drive. RM could not be installed elsewhere.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Some other program on your computer must be using that port then. Usually restarting the computer fixes it. I'm not sure how you identify what other program is blocking it. 

About the only thing you can do is save to the local Dropbox folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Those that are getting the "bind socket error" is it happening only on Window 7 computers?

Run you antivirus and malware programs while disconnected from the internet, so bugs can't call home. I'm seeing reports that trojans can be blocking the ports. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Mine is Win 10

#11 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I've rebooted, but the Dropbox window still does not work. Neither does the Mapping. On Windows 7, using latest version. 

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

Those with this issue, can you test if turning off WebHints under Tools>File Options>WebHInts makes any difference. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

Turned off WebHints. Restarted RM. Same issue with Save to Dropbox. Not having a problem with RootsMagic Mapping.

#14 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Same. Turned off WebHints. Restarted RM. Same issue with Save to Dropbox. But still having a problem with RootsMagic Mapping.

#15 Margthecar

Margthecar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

did you ever figure it out?  I am having the same problem.  The popup window to give RM access to Dropbox just sits there and does nothing.  I press Allow it does nothing, I press Cancel it does nothing.  I have done everything you have done--reboot, update RM, turned off WebHints, turned off Firewall.  Nothing works.  Just sticks on that screen every time.  

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

I still get the same error. But "Save to Dropbox" is now rather useless in conjunction with the mobile app even if it functioned because there has been some change in the API that RM has not sorted out that results in the file being renamed with a serial number. The app does not see that the current file is updated so you have to download manually (and delete the previous downloads). 

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Try turning off your firewall or internet software temporarily to see if you can get through the Dropbox API. If so, then adjust those settings to allow it access to the internet. I'm not well versed in this but it has something to do with the "Bind Socket OAuth Listener".

Renee
RootsMagic