8 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

I'm still attempting to get my fairly large tree synced using TreeShare, and it's a test of wills.

Often I will get the same person listed twice on the RootsMagic side. I have verified that there are not two people in RM, and when I resolve one of them and accept the changes they both go away.

Sometimes in a flurry of clicking that comes with TreeShare I'll make a wrong click and the only option is to cancel all the changes and go back and redo them. This is annoying, being able to undo the last change would be nice. Obviously not having to click so much would be better.

Also in a flurry of clicking you may miss an event or sources, and it's not always clear which you've done and which you haven't. I see that there is an attempt with the red/yellow, but for some reason with sources that doesn't always work.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7701 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

Do you see the person listed twice in the index but having different icons one on the RM side and one on the Ancestry side?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

The "duplicate" people in the list will always be people that are in both RM and Ancestry, so both icons are shown. One Sarah in RM list

Two Sarahs in TreeShare

Both are identical:

I update one and both are gone from the list:

(it won't let me paste the images, so I emailed them to support@rootsmagic.com

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

Post your images to a public website such as postimages.org and then post the direct link in the image control on the forum message editor.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

I thought about that, but the time it would take to do that for a half dozen small images just isn't worth the trouble. 

Issue_with_Tree_Share.png

But converting the email to PDF, then PNG worked.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7701 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've not seen it before where you have the same person listed like that twice in the index and it's only one person in the database.  I do understand why the person disappears after you update them though. You're on the change list, and have it set to remove them from the list once the change is made. That setting is under Tools>File Options>Ancestry>Remove from "changed" list after accepting changes. 

So now back to why your person is listed twice. I'm wondering if the person some how is connected to two Ancestry IDs. Did they happen to have duplicates that were merged in RM or on Ancestry? 

Here is what I would do.

1. Run the File>Database Tools, all options in consecutive order. Skip Compact Database if the file wasn't just opened.

2. In TreeShare highlight the person and go to Options>Unlink this RootsMagic and Ancestry person. Close TreeShare and then reopen see if there is still an issue with the person listed twice in TreeShare once they are relinked. If you see any new individuals with this issue pay attention to if they were recently merged in either location. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

I have a LOT that were merged on one side to the other as the whole laborious process I'm doing right now is merging the tree I had on MyHeritage with the tree I had on Ancestry. What a normally see if I merge on the Ancestry side is an "add" on the RootsMagic side that I delete, exactly the opposite when they were merged in RM. Now have I checked every single merge to make sue each one gives me a delete? Nope, so I'll try to may more attention.

#8 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

I often see entries like this where a person is apparently duplicated on both sides, but where in fact there is a duplicate in Rootsmagic only. Of course there may be other causes in your case, but when I get it, deleting the rootsmagic duplicate removes the duplicate line in treeshare.

I have today had different problems arising from a pair of manual merges that I carried out on both sides. The initial duplicates occurred because two brothers changed their names, and I had not realised that the two names were for the same person. I merged the two in both Ancestry and Rootsmagic, using the same main name and keeping the same alternate name on both sides. Treeshare then created endless problems, which I might have spotted if I had not been going through a large number of updates. It showed me an alternative view for each of the brothers in which they were not matched to their wives and children which I then duplicated. But the new wives did not link properly, so that each of the new children was created having separate relationships to a father and unknown mother and a mother an unknown father.

I have just spent a couple of hours sorting the mess out.

Alan

#9 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Alan,

I think I came across this same type of thing, but it has been a while.

The RM Person Record that receives the duplicate from a RM Merge should be the actual RM Person Record linked to the AMT. If you Merge them into a non linked AMT Person Record, as opposed to previous, RM might get confused or the AMT link is broken, thus you get redundant (duplicate) 'Matches' shown in TS4A.