• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wumpus

wumpus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm new to RootsMagic. I've used LegacyFamilyTree a bit, but do all my work on FamilySearch.org.

Upon installing the latest free RootsMagic7 Essentials and importing into a new database from FamilySearch, RM7 hangs during the import:

https://imgur.com/a/8NSvw

I thought it might be processing since Task Manager shows it's consuming 25% of my CPU resources, but I've waiting almost an hour and it's still hung. Clicking on the [Cancel] button does nothing. Clicking on the [X] to close the window does nothing.

How do I successfully complete the import?

My env:

RootsMagic7 Essentials

MSWindows 10 Pro x64

Intel Core i5 7200U

16GB RAM

256GB M.2 SSD

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

I know nothing about LDS import, but have you tried a smaller subset of people?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 wumpus

wumpus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

I ran it again on a new database with the same import parameter numbers and it completed Just Fine.  Go Figure. The only thing different was the name of the database and its parent directory.

failure: "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\RootsMagic\LastName - Husband n Wife\LastName-Husband_n_Wife.rmgc"

success: "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\RootsMagic\name-19700101\name-19700101.rmgc"

Gremlins.

My env:

RootsMagic7 Essentials

MSWindows 10 Pro x64

Intel Core i5 7200U

16GB RAM

256GB M.2 SSD

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

I think the issue of spaces in filenames causing problems was previously mentioned. While many Windows, Mac and internet processes seem to have no problems with spaces in filenames; it's clear that others do have a problem. I'm not aware that anyone has created a specific list of watch points. So I routinely avoid spaces in filenames. And, I acknowledge that my habits were formed in the 1980's when no file management system that I worked with even allowed them at all.

#5 Tominatione

Tominatione

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Gremlins is the only answer to how your problem got there in the first place...or technology is just weird.