Photo

Reference Number Customized (Dollarhyde)

RIN REFN Ref # Ancestral File # Add a Fact

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 judywest

judywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

I want to add a custom person file number (Dollarhyde) to appear after each person's name on all reports, charts, and their person view.

I checked REFN at startup for my tree. The only way I can get it to add this numbering system is to  add a fact "Reference Number."

Would it be all that complicated to have a box for a custom numbering system instead of having to remember to add another fact? Or, if when you choose REFN at startup for it to automatically add a field to place your REFN number in?  I'm afraid I'm going to forget to add the number given it is not intuitive.  Thanks for your consideration.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:57 PM

Short of there being actual changes to the software, these currently available tools could help you manage the process.

1. Reports > Lists > Fact List > Create a list of: People missing this fact type: > Reference No >... Print or save to a file and work from it through your database
  2. People View: Customize this view. Add Reference No to the list of Columns to display. In the display, click on the heading "Reference No" to sort and bring all the people with empty ones in view.
  3. Named Groups: create a named group of people using Mark Group > Select people by data fields > [Reference No] [exists] [is false]. You can filter People View by the named group; list the group in the sidebar; filter various reports by the named group; use Quick Groups to easily remove someone from the group when you've assigned the fact.
  4. Use SQLite to bulk add a blank Reference No fact to all members of the group: see Copy Fact to Group

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:46 AM

About your "remembering to add", one thing to add to Tom's fine list is the ability to add fields for input when adding new individuals. The <Add Person> input screen has a <Customize this form> link, at the bottom, to add fact fields to the entry form for all individuals being added:

2017-10-27_042609.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 judywest

judywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

I LOVE the customize Add Person option. I tried that out and it was exactly what I wanted. AND, I also managed to follow the instructions fro the Ref # List which also was beneficial. Thanks to all for your help. I am especially happy to have that added field! Judy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RIN, REFN, Ref #, Ancestral File #, Add a Fact