• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rcollman

rcollman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Longtime user of FO and RM and Ancestry.com.  First time doing DNA based research.  I would like some specific tools or help section on using RM tools for DNA research.   I feel like I am inventing the wheel and somebody  must have used RM to do this before. 

Overview.  A college friend asked me if I could help her with  AncestryDNA research.  She discovered with a non Ancestry DNA test, that either her father's brother is not genetically related to her father, or she is not related to her father but just to her mother.  She  thought she had a possible cousin, who suggested she do AncestryDNA (Turned out not related).  She did find she has 30% Southern Italian and this does not show up on her maternal  relations AncestryDNA matches, nor in basic research of her father's Ancestry.com tree. There are 5 users with visible trees that share her DNA and Southern Italian links.  I put all of these trees individuals (including Private) into a single RM database.  Then did some obsessive research.

My problem.  I have tree fragments that do not have direct connections to my friend.  As I data entry my additional research, I know that some overlap.  How can I literally see these overlaps?   

My current solutions/tools. 

1.  I initially used the "Family Tree, undocumented" template to create a source for each Ancestry.com tree that had a possible DNA match.  The master record has a URL link to the specific family tree.  In the citation, I use the annotation field and put the URL for the individuals "facts" page on Ancestry.com.   If another apparently unrelated user has more information in an Ancestry, I will add that as an undocumenred tree source. 
  2. I use my normal citations for additional facts or relationships such as census or Social Security Claims index, or birth records and so forth.  I will add this to the sometimes undocumented facts in other peoples' trees.
  3. For the first time I am  creating groups.  I select an individual in RM, pick all their ancestors and descendants and add the records to a group with one of the 5 related users with trees.   I am hoping to create some reports in publisher using a filter based upon groups.   I see the genetic selections but have not researched how to use them yet.
  4. I am considering creating a special fact, which will serve the same function as a group.  

Just thought I would share.   Is there a better wheel out there?

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

There have been several discussions on the RootsMagic Users Facebook group about organizing your DNA findings. We just have to be careful to not get off topic for RootsMagic. You can search our Facebook group for these discussions. You also might want to consider joining other Facebook groups that actually work with DNA and can have good suggestions on managing your matches. 

https://www.facebook...RootsMagicUsers

For a list of other genealogy related Facebook groups

https://socialmediag...-facebook-list/

Renee
RootsMagic