• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 liz ross

liz ross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

I wish for a wall chart format that does a tight compressed fishtail arrangement of the pedigree chart.  pages are printed out, and the user does a cut and paste for the whole thing.  RM doesn't have, and I wish it would. 

While I have used RM from the first, I transfered GEDCOM to Family tree (old edition) to get this very useful working document.   

Unfortunately, the new Family Tree doesn't do this, and neither does RM !!!   Sending off for a beautiful document is not what I am after - as said, this is a working document that changes every two to three months.  

If you would like a picture of what I am dreaming about, I have a very old printout which I keep.  

Fingers crossed.... 

Liz Ross

ps - also for the boxes to adjust their size to the information in each box. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Do you mean the "fan chart" style? That is on the enhancement request list.

Fan-3-300x194.jpg

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 liz ross

liz ross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

no - I was actually looking for the "standard" pedigree chart -- left to right which also gives b,m,d for each in the same bos, and adjusts the size of the box (vertically) to include all the info.  I know, advanced graphics programming, and/but REAlly, REALLY useful. 

any other ideas??

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Rather than cut and paste, why not use the cascaded 6-generation/page Pedigree Chart report. Tape them on the wall and draw lines to connect. Colour coding may help.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 liz ross

liz ross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

if that is the workaround, the program will do that w/ their "continued on page ..."  

any other ideas?? 

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Doesn't the Reports > Charts > Wall Chart > Ancestors > Left-to-right produce what you want? When printed to letter-size paper, it is paged out and you have to cut and paste, well, cut off a tiny border of unprintable space if you must. Or is the issue that the boxes are too widely spaced?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

Here's a small pedigree. Prints to 4 letter-size pages. No auto resizing of boxes but you have some control in RootsMagic Chart to edit the chart. The black box has taken me aback. Don't know why that happened.

Wall_Chart-_Pedigree-left_To_Right.png

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

The guy in the black box is a senior CIA operative. Ssshhh!

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

I'm mystified. His cloak stays on regardless of where he is in the chart and whether it is Ancestor or Descendant.  There is nothing apparent in his details that might cause a problem nor is there any error from Database Tools.

On further experimentation, there was a fairly long Death.Description value (209 characters). Deleting it solved the problem. Pasting it back in did not restore the fault. Maybe there was something in the field that was stripped out by copying the content and deleting it, saving the result and then pasting it back in.

#10 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Mysterious indeed. I've occasionally had difficulties in other program with clipboard data pulled from Microsoft Word documents. I think there are some formatting characters which don't travel well. The only one I specifically remember is the non-breaking space. I don't recollect which version of Word gave the problem.

R.