11 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

My tree (Crawford-Briles) uploaded from RM over summer.

Ancestry indexed trees on Oct. 2nd

When searching for person in my tree (Judson Foster Crawford  - died 1949), my tree does not appear in list.

I have lots of sources for Judson Foster Crawford (see - https://www.ancestry...137689801/facts) BUT none of them are listed as Ancestry sources -- even though there are several that came from Ancestry and Ancestry is part of the citation.

My workflow:

From RootsMagic:

• Click on lightbulb
  • Review suggested source (usually with it open) -- if it is a match -- accept within RootsMagic and write my own citation
  • Download the media to my computer and attach to previously written citation
  • When finished with individual, go to TreeShare and upload changes (usually sources)

Ancestry is picking up that I've accepted the hint (the shaky leaf is gone) but isn't picking up that I'm using Ancestry sources. Thus, my tree appears to be 'unsourced'.

I've called Ancestry on this and have a case #.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

If you uploaded your tree prior to version 7.5.1.0 - 14 Jul 2017 it couldn't recognize when WebHints were added that they were Ancestry Sources when added through TreeShare. If you added a WebHint since then back to Ancestry it should be recognizing it as an Ancestry source. If the source doesn't come from a hint then it's attached as Other Sources on Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

I've been keeping RM up to date.

My tree, Crawford-Briles, was created from a gedcom from my other tree on Sept. 6th. It was uploaded to Ancestry at that time.

It is a public tree.

I did a search for one of the individuals that I worked with this week and my tree still didn't appear in the list of results. (He wasn't 'new' to tree but I was accepting the hints and then did TreeShare.)

Edward Foster  - b 1833  Indiana, USA

34 trees returned -- none of them mine

Edward Foster in my tree: https://www.ancestry...137698816/facts

#4 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

I think Ancestry did something recently that eliminates any of your trees from your hints or search results.  I used to use a Public Tree search for a key individual in my trees to determine when one of my new trees was indexed by Ancestry.  That doesn't seem to work anymore.  No results even from old trees that I know have been indexed.  I think I'll have sign off of Ancestry and then do a Public Tree search to determine if a new tree has been indexed.  Hope that works.

#5 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Not being able to see your own tree in a search makes sense -- BUT -- Ancestry support also couldn't find my tree.

Try searching Ancestry public trees for

Judson Foster Crawford - died 1949

If the tree Crawford-Briles shows in the list of results, then the issue is due to my not seeing my own tree. However, if the Crawford-Briles tree isn't there, then there is a bigger issue.

#6 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Did search, no Crawford-Briles tree in the results.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

The only tree that I receive hints under "Other Member Trees" that belong to me is my public indexed one. All the rest that I have private do not appear. You will not see the tree the person is already in appear in the list of "Other Member Trees" either. 

The hints that RootsMagic receives for WebHints comes from the hints generated on the Ancestry Tree itself. If you are not seeing your other trees listed, that are public and indexed, then it needs to be addressed with Ancestry. RootsMagic has no control over the hints that are provided to us. 

If you see the hints on Ancestry but not in RootsMagic then go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry and make sure the option is checked for "Show 'other member tree' hints".

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Renee --

The issue isn't with 'receiving' hints.

The issue is that after I accept hints FROM RootsMagic, Ancestry doesn't recognize those sources and thus my tree doesn't appear in a search. (issue verified by Ancestry and by user in this thread)

A related issue is that after I accept Tree Hints FROM RootsMagic, I can't use the 'member connection' feature of Ancestry to connect a person on my tree to another researcher. (Issue verified by Harold Primm - Facebook post)

I don't believe these issues occur for those that are accepting the hints on Ancestry and using TreeShare to move the information TO RootsMagic.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

The issue is that after I accept hints FROM RootsMagic, Ancestry doesn't recognize those sources and thus my tree doesn't appear in a search. (issue verified by Ancestry and by user in this thread)

Sorry, but I am not grasping what your referring to at all. 

A related issue is that after I accept Tree Hints FROM RootsMagic, I can't use the 'member connection' feature of Ancestry to connect a person on my tree to another researcher. (Issue verified by Harold Primm - Facebook post)

Member connect is not supported in the Ancestry API. You can only work with it on their website.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Thank you everyone for helping me work thru this issue!

Below is part of my recent blogpost updating the issue:

Now, that I'm aware of the issue, I'm going to change my workflow.

• Accept valid hint on Ancestry
  • Use RootsMagic to source that hint and manually add the image (as I was doing prior to TreeShare)
  • Ignore pink sources and media on TreeShare

In the meantime, I'm going back thru my 5 generation pedigree and

• Clicking confirmed sources and changing them to undecided within RootsMagic
  • Accepting those sources on Ancestry

Now, I wait for Ancestry indexing to pick up my tree.

#11 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

TreeShare and Sources

https://heartlandgen...nd-sources.html

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

In the meantime, I'm going back thru my 5 generation pedigree and

Clicking confirmed sources and changing them to undecided within RootsMagic
Accepting those sources on Ancestry

You will run into issues doing this. Once you confirm or reject a webhint in either RM or Ancestry it will make the change in the other place. So it's not possible to mark the webhint undecided in RM and accepted on Ancestry. 

Renee
RootsMagic