• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

I reported this issue during beta testing and couldn't find it here, sorry if this is a repeat.

Ancesty allows clips/saved pages/articles found in Newspapers.com and Fold3 databases to be "saved to Ancestry".  When saved they each create a fact in Ancestry with the URL back to the item and a linked source citation record.

When these items are added to RM from Ancestry in TreeShare they get added individually to the list of FACT TYPES and appear in the "field" list for use in reports, resulting in hundreds of useless fact types that clutter up the field list.

TreeShare should recognize facts and sources from Newspapers.com and Fold3 and create general fact types of "Newspapers.com" or "Fold3" or maybe "Ancestry external source" rather than a unique fact type for each fact.  I think this will also happen with Find A Grave.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7264 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

RootsMagic can only import what Ancestry sends us. This would have to be addressed by their support. Ancestry would need to create the fact type on their end for each of these Fold3 and Newspapers.com facts. I think the beta version of Find A Grave had a similar issue too. Make sure you submit this issue to Ancestry support so they know the problem you are having. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2696 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

But RM could rename or remap what is sent by Ancestry to a different fact type.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7264 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

If we remapped it then I don't think it would match up with what is one Ancestry to share data back and forth. This is similar to the issue with people wanting us to map census facts to residence facts on Ancestry. Though I honestly haven't seen any of these 3rd party attachments in Ancestry to know how they are appearing as facts there. 

Renee
RootsMagic