• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rosellirj

rosellirj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Could you please add a [note] field to the list of fact sentence fields? I would like to see how the note for a fact will print while viewing the customized sentence box for a fact in the timeline view.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

Could you please add a [note] field to the list of fact sentence fields? I would like to see how the note for a fact will print while viewing the customized sentence box for a fact in the timeline view.

When the sentences first came out and were discussed, the option was to add the description field to the sentences.  Many of us set up the description field in all of the fact type sentences.  It does show in the Timeline view  in the details column. That is what I use and which has been very handy.   I also put what could go in the note field i in the Text box of the Citation Manager and not repeat the same information. . Jerry has used the Note field extensively. He has found a way to use that field which works for his research.  If you use the search button for Notes, you will find the discussions from the last couple of years.   Personally, I would not use the note field for a part of a sentence.  As my procedure for the way I use notes is too tell what I could not find or  need new research for what is missing.  There are other suggestions in the forum about created new fact types for missing research or..... 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 rosellirj

rosellirj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

All I'm asking for is the sentence template equivalent of the memo field in TMG, [M]. When my TMG data set was converted by RootsMagic, all of my memo fields were transferred into the RM Notes field. I have several thousand notes in my database, each describing the fact they are associated with. Some of these are pages long. The description field is much too short for my needs and ends as soon as you enter a carriage return. I want the note to follow the customized sentence. For example, for the Principal of a Miscellaneous Fact, I would like to write:

Miscellaneous<, [Date:Plain]>
An event involving [Person:full]< and [OtherPersons]> occurred< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.< [Note]>

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Notes will automatically follow the sentence template in reports. So in your example < [Note]> would be redundant.

If you hover over the note check mark on the Edit Person screen you can see the full note. So it's just a matter of viewing the custom sentence for the fact and then moving over to the note check mark to view what follows. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Notes will automatically follow the sentence template in reports. So in your example < [Note]> would be redundant.

I think it would NOT be quite redundant. In the current design, with Notes enabled for printing in reports, the citation superscripts will be place BEFORE the Note. If the Note were included in the Sentence Template, then the citation superscripts would come AFTER the Note.

For some users, that difference in superscript placement may be desirable.

#6 rosellirj

rosellirj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

<[Note]> is not redundant if I want the note to appear in the customized sentence box.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2696 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

I think there are several reasons the [Note] variable should be supported, and many of those reasons have already been mentioned in this thread. An additional reason is that there might be occasions where you want to store data in the note field but you want it to be optional whether the note is printed in certain reports. So you could then include or not include the [Note] variable in the sentence template for a particular fact. RM can already print or not print notes in reports, but it's all or nothing for all fact types - very inflexible. Another additional reason is that there might be times where the [Note] variable is not the last variable in the sentence template.

The current design of defaulting the [Note] variable without there actually being a [Note] variable is simply not a good design.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

It is on the enhancement request list to add [Notes] inside the sentence template, and the placement of the citation superscripts. I just didn't get why you would want to put < [Notes]> at the end of the sentence template when it already does that.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

I just didn't get why you would want to put < [Notes]> at the end of the sentence template when it already does that.

As Jerry pointed out, the current situation is a "one-size fits all" solution that doesn't. We must print all fact notes or no fact notes. Allowing the decision to reside in the sentence template will allow for some fact notes to print, and others to not print - without resorting to the {curly} brackets - and it places the citations at the end of the construct, instead of somewhere in the middle. I think there will be plenty of users who appreciate that flexibility.