14 replies to this topic

#1 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

I attached the 1920 Census to 20 people in my tree.

I realized I attached the wrong media to one person. I want to remove the media from one person only.and leave the media attached to the remaining people.

Actual Results:
I have the one record open, clicked the green check mark under the camera column. I highlighted/selected the one person I wanted to have the media removed from in the upper right hand side of the media gallery window. I pressed the Remove media button. It removes the media from everyone in the list. I have to re-add it to everyone again.  That is not good.  That is a lot of wasted time and very frustrating.

Expected Results:
I expected to highlight the person I wanted to remove the media from.  Select Remove media and the media only would be removed from only the person selected.  I would expect the event to still be there.  If I wanted to have the media removed from more than one or everyone, I would highlight/select the ones i want the media to be removed from or everyone and then press remove media.

If the actual results is the way it is supposed to work, may I suggest an enhancement? It would save a lot of time and the frustration of having to add the media back on to the remaining people.  It definitely would be more user friendly. If there is only 2 or 3 people, it is not bad to re-add it to everyone but when you have over 8 people, it is not nice.  It takes a lot of time to re-add that many people.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

In the Media Gallery or Media Album highlight the MediaTag on the right and click the "Delete Tag" above it. That will remove that one MediaTag for that person/event. If you click "Remove Media" it will remove it from the Media Gallery and all the MediaTags with it. 

If you wanted to get all the MediaTags back after removing from everyone, then use File>Restore on a backup.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3664 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

I wonder if the Remove option should be available in the Media Album. Its presence there seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Obviously the Remove option has to be available in the Media Gallery.

Jerry

#4 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

Renee, thank you for the solution.  I tried the deleting the tag and it worked. I did not realize a tag was created when media was added.  I saw the tag buttons there but did not realize what they were for or what they did.

I am adding hundreds of census records to people in my family tree. 

The only way I would be able to get them back from a restore and not loose anything would mean I would have to do a backup after every time I added a census record to the tree. And that would be assuming the last one added was the wrong  person.  If it was the third or fourth one added, you would still have to re-add the media to the rest of the people I think.

I think the Remove Media button is ok there but maybe rename it to Remove Media from all and the Delete Tags be labeled Remove Media from selected.  Or have a Remove Media section and have an all and a selected button.  I would have never thought Delete Tags would do what I was attempting. Only suggestions from a users point of view.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

If its a matter of the wrong image for everyone with a MediaTag to it, then you can just change the image. Click on Properties in the Media Gallery or Album and then "Change media file..."

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

No. It was a matter of the media was attached to the wrong person in the list of 15 people.  My tree has many people with the same name but different birth dates.  I was needing to remove the media from the wrong person. When I tried to remove the media via the Remove Media button, it removed the media from everyone.  I needed to remove the media from one person in the list. The Delete Tag does what I needed. 

It was not obvious to me what needed to be done to accomplish this.  I only suggest renaming the buttons for new people who are not familiar with the way Rootmagic works. I apologized if I have offended anyone. That was not my intent.  I was merely wanting to have the software more user friendly for new people.

The Change media file option brings up another situation I encountered.  I have a folder called Census which I had all of my census images in.  It got very large (several hundreds). So, I created sub folders for each year (1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, etc.). When I moved the files into the new folders, the media became invalid. I went into every person and re-added the media file and of course removed the old media.  Would there have been a better way to accomplish this?

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3664 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

The Change media file option brings up another situation I encountered.  I have a folder called Census which I had all of my census images in.  It got very large (several hundreds). So, I created sub folders for each year (1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, etc.). When I moved the files into the new folders, the media became invalid. I went into every person and re-added the media file and of course removed the old media.  Would there have been a better way to accomplish this?

As long the media files were only moved to a different folder and were not renamed, you can fix it with Lists->Media Gallery->Fix broken media links. It will fix all of the broken links, all in one go.

Jerry

#8 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Thanks, Jerry.  I want to be sure I understand this.  I had everything in the Census folder.  I put some of them in the 1850 folder, some of them in the 1860 folder, some of them in the 1870 folder, etc. And it will fix the paths all of the files in one pass? 

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

As long as the media was not renamed the "Fix broken media links" tool will find them and repair the links. If it was renamed then you want to use the "Change media file.." button to manually fix it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Oh My, wish I knew that.  That is totally awesome.  I did that too.  That is what happens when the tree goes over the 5,000 mark.  I am sure I will change my mind some more as it continues to grow.  Give my thanks to the developers, testers and analysts of RootsMagic.  I love it to pieces.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3664 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Here is a very minor caution which should not affect most RM users most of the time.

The way RM manages media files (including such things as the Fix Broken Links tool) depends on every media file used by RM having a unique name, distinct from every other media file used by RM. That sounds obvious enough, I suppose. But from the Windows perspective, for example, lots of different files on your computer can have exactly the same file name provided they are stored in different folders. Indeed, if you have different files in different folders which have the same file name, it can confuse the Fix Broken Link tool in RM. It might point RM to a file that has the right file name but which is not in the folder in which you intend.

To that end, the Fix Broken Links tool has a feature whereby you can tell it the location on your disk where it is supposed to look for the files with the broken links. And even if you don't have different files in different folders which has the same file name, it can speed up the tool considerably if you point the tool at a folder structure containing the files with the broken link. Otherwise, the tool might have to look at your entire hard disk which could take a very long time.

The way your disk files are arranged where a folder got too big and all you wanted to do was to split it into sub-folders is perfect for the Fix Broken links tool.

Jerry

#12 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

Jerry, thanks for the heads up. i make a copy not a backup of the Rootsmagic file before i do something like that.  I do have a few images that have the same names.  That is easy for figure out which ones have the same name. I was wanting to make sure that every file had a unique name. Now this is the pushes me over the edge to do so. 

#13 strathglass

strathglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

Follow up on this topic:

In my case the same image appeared in the media tab for myself, my wife, and my daughter.

It should only be in my daughter's media tab.

So in my wife's media tab I selected the image and clicked on "Delete Tag"...but that made it go away from all of our media tab's, not just my wifes!

What did I do wrong??

#14 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:00 AM

One thing i keep forgetting to do is to select the person that I want to remove the media from. It always has its emphasis on the first  person in the list. I usually want to remove the  media from the last person. I click the Delete Tag button and it removes the media from the person that was selected but not the person I was wanting to remove it from.

The Remove media button has a Red X in the box and is in the top row. The Delete tag button is below the Remove media button and to the right a little and  does not have anything in the box.

Before finding out how to do it correctly, i always clicked the Remove media button and it removed the media from everyone. When I found out about the Delete tag button AND chose the person I wanted the media to be removed from, it removed the media from the person I had selected. The thing I like about the Delete Tag also is the Caption stays with the media even if you remove it from everyone so you don't have to reenter the Caption.

It sounds like you may be clicking the Remove media button or that is how the Remove media button works. I am not saying you are though. The Delete Tag removes the media from the person selected only (usually).

#15 strathglass

strathglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

OK that clarifies a little bit:

The issue is the images in question only show my daughter's name in what is presumably the name list, so why is it showing up in my media list???